Walter Pagano is a Tax Partner with more than 35 years of diversified and relevant litigation consulting and forensic accounting experience. He has testified in federal and state courts, as well as at arbitration hearings, and has served as a federal, state, and bankruptcy court appointed forensic accountant and special fiscal agent. Walter’s experience, knowledge, and expertise enable practicing attorneys and corporate counsel to rely on his objective and independent critical thinking and judgment as a source to ascertain the financial facts in a wide variety of civil and criminal cases that have included white collar crime, internal investigations, adequacy of internal controls, commercial disputes, civil and criminal tax controversy, internal and external fraud schemes, financial statement fraud, shareholder and matrimonial disputes, guardianship litigation, accounting malpractice and third-party asset misappropriation. Walter has served as an expert witness in diverse cases such as IRS practice and procedure, breach of accounting and tax representations and warranties, damage calculations, criminal tax prosecutions, and guardianship accounting.
Prior to joining the firm, Walter served as Partner-in-Charge of Litigation Consulting and Forensic Accounting at another public accounting firm. His background also includes serving 10 years as a revenue agent with the United States Treasury Department, Internal Revenue Service (IRS). In this position, Walter conducted forensic and tax audits of businesses and individuals, and also trained revenue agents and criminal investigation special agents in the applicable provisions of income tax law. In addition, he was an appeals officer, co-authored the IRS’ Commodity Tax Shelter Training Manual, examined abusive tax shelters, and assisted federal prosecutors as a forensic accountant in prosecuting various tax crimes.
Walter is a frequent guest speaker on topics such as forensic accounting, IRS investigations and white collar crime.
- Civil & Criminal Tax Controversy
- Commercial Litigation
- Financial Statement Fraud
- Internal & External Fraud Schemes
- Internal Investigations
- Forensic Accounting Investigations
- Fraud Investigations
- White Collar Investigations
- Matrimonial Disputes
- Tax Controversy Forensic Accountant
Credentials & Education
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Certified in Financial Forensics (CFF)
- Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE)
- Saint Joseph’s University: BS
- New York University: Master’s degree
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- New Jersey Society of Certified Public Accountants
- New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants
- American Bar Association
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners