- International Taxation
- Cross Border Entities
- Foreign Corporations
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Hedge Funds
- Private Equity Funds
CREDENTIALS / EDUCATION
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- University of Maryland: BA, Economics
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants
- International Fiscal Association
Jay Bakst is a Tax Partner with 20 years of experience providing services to private equity and hedge funds and their portfolio companies. He is extensively involved in the firm's cross-border private equity practice, providing a full range of compliance services for onshore and offshore investors and investments, and consulting on various issues relating to international mergers, acquisitions and dispositions. Jay also has significant expertise in the U.S. taxation of international transactions, both inbound and outbound. He brings a comprehensive approach to tax compliance and consulting and deal structuring.
A leading expert on FATCA, Jay is frequently quoted and consulted on its impact on private equity and other investment funds. His unique perspective, examining the less immediately evident nuances of the evolving area and its application to funds, is reflected in his articles and speaking engagements. He remains a valued source of information as the intersection of FATCA and intergovernmental agreements is explored.
- What words of wisdom or famous quote most influences you professionally?
- Celebrate accomplishments, not entitlements.
- Where did you grow up?
- Queens, NY
- Describe your college experience in one sentence.
- Fairly pleasant, interesting, and impractical
- How do you enjoy spending your time outside the office?
- Family, reading, running.
- What are you most passionate about with your work?
- Achieving a highly customized solution for my client. Doing the "best" job, but only after carefully assessing what "best" means.
- I love when clients ask me about …
- When clients ask me about complex situations that they are having a lot of difficulty navigating, because I can analyze, simplify and provide them with a clear road map of what to do by when and why.
- What is your favorite nonprofit to support?
- An orphanage for children, because it affords me the opportunity to make a real difference in someone's life when no one else will.