Deborah S. Friedland
Deborah Friedland is a Managing Director in the Corporate Finance Group and is head of Hospitality Advisory Services. Deborah specializes in operational strategy analysis, asset management, valuation, internal control review and assessments, market studies, and transactional due diligence for investors and lenders.
With over 25 years of experience, Deborah has advised clients in connection with the acquisition, finance, conversion or operation of real estate, including hospitality, gaming, restaurant, industrial, commercial, mixed-use, golf course, and amusement park properties, as well as numerous REITs dedicated to investing in such properties. She has structured master leases for taxable and nontaxable REIT structures involving public and private projects. Deborah has been involved in the successful turnaround of numerous hotels, resorts, restaurants, and mixed-use properties. She is also involved in the firm’s Real Estate Services Group.
Prior to joining the firm, Deborah was Managing Director of a real estate advisory group, and a Director for a hospitality advisory firm. Deborah has past experience as Vice President and Principal REIT analyst at ABN AMRO, where she covered public REIT companies. She was also a REIT and gaming analyst at Smith Barney, where she was responsible for preparing financial models, writing earnings reports, communicating with management and advising the institutional investment community on investment decisions. Deborah started her career as a real estate consultant at Arthur Andersen.
Deborah is a frequent speaker before professional groups. She has contributed to several articles for various real estate and hospitality industry publications. Most recently, Crain’s New York Business named Deborah as one of the Notable Women in Accounting and Consulting for 2018.
- What words of wisdom or famous quote most influences you professionally?
- It's only business, not personal.
- Where did you grow up?
- Long Island
- Describe your college experience in one sentence.
- Excruciatingly tough, but worth it in the end.
- How do you enjoy spending your time outside the office?
- Traveling the world.
- What are you most passionate about with your work?
- Always learning new things.
- What piece of advice do you often give clients?
- Tell them what they need to hear, not what they want to hear.
- What client issue do you have a knack for resolving?
- Personal issues
- If you had to choose another occupation, what would it be?
- A tour guide/a teacher