- Employee Benefit Plan Consulting & Administration
- ESOP (Employee Stock Ownership Plans)
CREDENTIALS / EDUCATION
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- State University of New York-Potsdam: BA, Economics, magna cum laude
- Tuebingen University (Germany): Economics, Accounting & Business Law post-graduate studies
- State University of New York-Albany: Economics, Accounting & Business Law graduate studies
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants
- American Society of Pension Professionals & Actuaries
- American Council on Germany
Peter Alwardt is a Tax Partner with more than 20 years of consulting experience, specializing in employee benefits, tax and ERISA issues for domestic and international clients. He has an extensive background in consulting on qualified and nonqualified plan design, operational compliance, equity-based plans, employee communications, and representation before the Internal Revenue Service, Department of Labor and Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation.
Previously, Peter was a Senior Manager for seven years with a Big 4 accounting firm in New York and Vice President of a consulting firm in Albany, New York. He has spoken on topics such as 403(b) plan compliance, employee stock ownership plans (ESOP), and supplemental executive retirement plans. In addition, he has written articles on employee benefit issues and been interviewed for articles in various professional publications.
- What words of wisdom or famous quote most influences you professionally?
- "There is no good, unless you do it." – Erich Kaestner
- Where did you grow up?
- Batavia, NY
- Describe your college experience in one sentence.
- I learned critical thinking.
- How do you enjoy spending your time outside the office?
- Traveling in Europe; meeting family and friends; collecting and trying new wines.
- What piece of advice do you often give clients?
- Keep it simple.
- If you had to choose another occupation, what would it be?