Peter Alwardt is a Tax Partner with over 30 years of consulting experience, specializing in employee benefits, tax and ERISA issues for domestic and international clients. He has an extensive background in consulting on qualified and nonqualified plan design, Internal Revenue Code sections 409A and 83, IRS voluntary compliance programs, operational compliance, equity-based plans, and employee communications. Peter also represents clients before the Internal Revenue Service and U.S. Department of Labor.
Previously, Peter was a Senior Manager for seven years with a Big 4 accounting firm in New York and Vice President of a consulting firm in Albany. He has spoken on topics such as 403(b) plan compliance, employee stock ownership plans and supplemental executive retirement plans. In addition, he has written articles on employee benefit issues and been interviewed for articles in various professional publications including; Journal of Compensation and Benefits, The CPA Journal, Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, New Jersey CPA Journal, Society of Financial Service Professionals, and MyNQDC.com.
- What words of wisdom or famous quote most influences you professionally?
- "There is no good, unless you do it." – Erich Kaestner
- Where did you grow up?
- Batavia, NY
- Describe your college experience in one sentence.
- I learned critical thinking.
- How do you enjoy spending your time outside the office?
- Traveling in Europe; meeting family and friends; collecting and trying new wines.
- What piece of advice do you often give clients?
- Keep it simple.
- If you had to choose another occupation, what would it be?