- Private Equity Funds
- Hedge Funds
- Funds of Funds
- Business Entity Tax
CREDENTIALS / EDUCATION
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- State University of New York-Oneonta: BS, Accounting
- Pace University: MS, Taxation
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants: Taxation of Financial Institutions & Products Committee
- Managed Funds Association
- Wall Street Tax Association
- Child Center of NY: Board Member
Michael Laveman is a Tax Partner and Co-Chair of the New York Tax Practice.
Mike specializes in complex tax advisory and planning services for the financial services sector. He provides services to both start-ups and well-established clients, including a broad range of hedge funds, private equity funds, venture capital funds, funds of funds and investment advisors. His work includes structuring investment funds and related entities, as well as advising on the tax complexities of financial products and investment strategies.
Mike frequently speaks at financial services industry conferences, writes and serves as an expert for professional publications and is a member of EisnerAmper’s Editorial Board for Asset Management Intelligence, the firm’s newsletter focused on issues of concern and trends impacting the financial services industry. The National Academy of Public Accounting Professionals previously named Mike one of the Top 10 Public Accounting Professionals in New York.
- What words of wisdom or famous quote most influences you professionally?
- Speak softly and carry a big stick.
- Where did you grow up?
- Valley Stream, NY
- How do you enjoy spending your time outside the office?
- Running, playing basketball, coaching baseball and other sports.
- What are you most passionate about with your work?
- Getting involved in new relationships and building long-lasting relationships with current clients.
- What piece of advice do you often give clients?
- Call me before you do anything.
- What client issue do you have a knack for resolving?
- Explaining complex issues in understandable English.
- Why did you become a CPA?
- Didn't want to be a doctor or lawyer.
- If you had to choose another occupation, what would it be?
- Second baseman for the NY Mets
- What is your favorite TV show?
- Game of Thrones