Lois Clinco is a Partner in the Private Business Services Group. Her experience encompasses all aspects of accounting, including audit, tax, consulting and financial reporting. Lois has a particular focus in real estate, specifically rental real estate and Common Interest Realty Associations (CIRAs), which includes cooperatives, condominiums, homeowners associations and timeshares.
Lois performs agreed upon procedures for transitions of developer conversions, and has prepared successful refund claims to New York State for sales tax paid on capital improvement contracts. She and her team also work with clients in performing Senior Citizen Rent Increase Exemption (SCRIE) analysis to determine whether the proper amounts are received/paid.
In addition, Lois serves clients in other sectors, such as e-commerce/internet, leisure and recreation, and hotel and lodging. She also has specialized expertise in assisting clients in CFO and controllership functions and family office work.
Long Island Business News recognized Lois among the Who’s Who in Forensic Accounting and the Top 50 Most Influential Women in Business.
- What words of wisdom or famous quote most influences you professionally?
- Treat others as you would like to be treated.
- Where did you grow up?
- North Bellmore, NY (Long Island)
- Describe your college experience in one sentence.
- I worked while I attended college, so it was busy.
- How do you enjoy spending your time outside the office?
- I enjoy watching sports – Mets, Islanders and football (both Jets and Giants, but when they face each other, I root for the Jets). Of course, spending time with my family. I also enjoy playing golf.
- What are you most passionate about with your work?
- I am most passionate about providing quality service to my clients and making sure the information they receive is correct.
- What piece of advice do you often give clients?
- I tell them that if they have a question or concern, to please call or email me, as it's my job to put their mind at ease.
- Why did you become a CPA?
- When I was in 10th grade, I was asked if I knew what I wanted to do. I looked at the list on the guidance counselor wall, and saw accountant. In my high school, they offered accounting, so I took accounting in both 11th and 12th grade.
- If you had to choose another occupation, what would it be?
- I would like to work with my hands and renovate houses.
- What is the most played song on your iPod?
- I like country – Carrie Underwood, Luke Bryan; newer country music.
- What is your favorite TV show?
- It was Revenge, which is now over, and also The Blacklist.
- What is your favorite nonprofit to support?
- I have two: Leukemia Society, because over 2 years ago, my nephew, who was 5 at the time, was diagnosed with leukemia; and the American Cancer Society, as my dad died of colon cancer and my mom is a breast cancer survivor.
- What was your favorite car that you owned?
- I liked my 2003 Ford Explorer … it just felt comfortable.