- Real Estate
- Food & Beverage
CREDENTIALS / EDUCATION
- Cornell University, School of Hotel Administration: BS, Hotel Management; MS, Real Estate Finance
- International Society of Hospitality Consultants
- Cornell University, School of Hotel Administration Career Advisory Board
- Cornell University Real Estate Council, New York City Chapter Board
- Cornell Hotel Society
- Webster Apartments Board of Directors
Deborah S. Friedland is a Managing Director in the Corporate Finance Group and is head of Hospitality Advisory Services. Deborah specializes in feasibility and benchmarking studies, operational strategy analysis, property conversion analysis, asset management, valuation, and transactional due diligence for investors and lenders.
With over 25 years of experience, Deborah has advised clients in connection with the acquisition, finance, conversion or operation of real estate, including hospitality, gaming, restaurant, industrial, commercial, mixed-use, golf course, and amusement park properties, as well as numerous REITs dedicated to investing in such properties. She has structured master leases for taxable and nontaxable REIT structures involving public and private projects. Deborah has been involved in the successful turnaround of numerous hotels, resorts, restaurants, and mixed-use properties. She is also involved in the firm’s Real Estate Services Group.
Prior to joining the firm, Deborah served as Managing Director of a financial services firm’s real estate and hospitality consulting practice. She was also Managing Director of the Schonbraun McCann Real Estate Advisory Group at FTI and a Director at Horwath Horizon, consulting on real estate development, market studies, acquisition due diligence, conversion analyses, and operational and internal control review and assessments. In addition, Deborah has past experience as Vice President and principal REIT analyst at ABN AMRO, where she covered public REIT companies. Deborah was also a REIT and gaming analyst at Smith Barney, where she was responsible for preparing financial models, writing earnings reports, communicating with management and advising the institutional investment community on investment decisions. Deborah started her career as a real estate consultant at Arthur Andersen.
Deborah has also contributed to several articles for various real estate and hospitality industry publications.
- What words of wisdom or famous quote most influences you professionally?
- It's only business, not personal.
- Where did you grow up?
- Long Island
- Describe your college experience in one sentence.
- Excruciatingly tough, but worth it in the end.
- How do you enjoy spending your time outside the office?
- Traveling the world.
- What are you most passionate about with your work?
- Always learning new things.
- What piece of advice do you often give clients?
- Tell them what they need to hear, not what they want to hear.
- What client issue do you have a knack for resolving?
- Personal issues
- If you had to choose another occupation, what would it be?
- A tour guide/a teacher