Deborah S. Friedland
- Managing Director, Eisner Advisory Group LLC
Deborah Friedland is a Managing Director in the firm’s Financial Advisory Services and Real Estate Groups. She is also Practice Leader of the Hospitality Advisory Services Group. Deborah specializes in operational strategy analysis, asset management, valuation, internal control review and assessments, market studies, and transactional due diligence for investors and lenders. With over 25 years of experience, she has advised clients in connection with the acquisition, finance, conversion or operation of real estate, including hospitality, gaming, restaurant, industrial, commercial, mixed-use, golf course, and amusement park properties, in addition to numerous REITs dedicated to investing in such properties. Deborah has structured master leases for taxable and nontaxable REIT structures involving public and private projects. She has been involved in the successful turnaround of numerous hotels, resorts, restaurants, and mixed-use properties.
Prior to joining the firm, Deborah was Managing Director at Goldin Associates and FTI Consulting. She has past experience as Vice President and Principal REIT analyst at ABN AMRO, where she covered public REIT companies. Deborah was also a REIT and gaming analyst at Smith Barney, where she was responsible for preparing financial models, writing earnings reports, communicating with management and advising the institutional investment community on investment decisions. Deborah started her career as a real estate consultant at Arthur Andersen.
Deborah frequently presents to professional groups and has contributed to articles for real estate and hospitality publications, and recognized by Turnaround Management Association and M&A Advisor, and awarded Mid-Sized Transaction of the Year and Refinancing Deal of the Year for her leadership role in the successful restructuring of $250 million in obligations of the Westin Chicago Lombard Hotel. Global M&A Network named EisnerAmper the 2019 Turnaround Atlas Award Winner for Chapter 11 Restructuring of the Year in recognition of Deborah’s contribution. Crain’s New York Business named Deborah as one of the Notable Women in Accounting and Consulting for 2018.
- What words of wisdom or famous quote most influences you professionally?
- It's only business, not personal.
- Where did you grow up?
- Long Island
- Describe your college experience in one sentence.
- Excruciatingly tough, but worth it in the end.
- How do you enjoy spending your time outside the office?
- Traveling the world.
- What are you most passionate about with your work?
- Always learning new things.
- What piece of advice do you often give clients?
- Tell them what they need to hear, not what they want to hear.
- What client issue do you have a knack for resolving?
- Personal issues
- If you had to choose another occupation, what would it be?
- A tour guide/a teacher