David B. Kaufman
David Kaufman is an Audit Partner with over 30 years of public accounting experience. He provides audit and consulting services to a diverse client base that includes middle-market companies and their owners, family offices, and private equity funds and their portfolio companies. His clients span a number of industries, including manufacturing and distribution, technology, retail, hospitality, health care and professional services.
David specializes in strategic business and tax consulting and planning for closely held business owners and their families. He also advises private equity and venture capital fund managers in the structuring of fund documents and portfolio transactions, and implementing valuation methodologies, policies and procedures. In addition, he has extensive experience serving as an expert witness.
David is frequently engaged to speak at private equity and family office conferences. He has authored various articles on internal controls, processes and procedures, and fraud prevention and detection for a variety of publications.
David serves as Chairman or Treasurer for a number of philanthropic organizations.
- What words of wisdom or famous quote most influences you professionally?
- Accounting is what I do, it's not who I am.
- Where did you grow up?
- Brooklyn, NY (Didn't everyone grow up in Brooklyn?)
- Describe your college experience in one sentence.
- Cultural, sociological, and educational enlightenment
- How do you enjoy spending your time outside the office?
- With my family and friends
- What are you most passionate about with your work?
- Adding value beyond the basic accounting services by assisting business owners in maximizing their profitability and developing true relationships and friendships.
- What piece of advice do you often give clients?
- Make business, not tax decisions.
- What client issue do you have a knack for resolving?
- Finding simple, reasonable solutions to difficult, complicated issues.
- Why did you become a CPA?
- I got my CPA license so I could become a corporate CFO, but I never went back to private accounting.
- If you had to choose another occupation, what would it be?
- Rock star or professional basketball player
- What is the most played song on your iPod?
- Reckoner by Radiohead or Wicked Game by Chris Isaak
- What is your favorite nonprofit to support?
- The Hebrew Free Loan Society, because the funds are recycled as the interest-free loans are repaid and can be used in perpetuity.
- What was your favorite car that you owned?
- Ford Mustang convertible – it was the first new car I bought.