- Audit & Assurance
- Life Sciences
- SEC Reporting
- Private Placement – Equity
- Private Placement – Debt
- Securities Registrations
- Sarbanes-Oxley Compliance
- Manufacturing & Distribution
CREDENTIALS / EDUCATION
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- State University of New York-Buffalo: BA
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants
Steven Kreit is Partner-in-Charge of the New York Commercial Audit and Assurance Practice, as well as the Life Sciences and Technology groups in New York. He has significant expertise in serving industries across major markets, including life sciences, technology, pharmaceuticals, media, manufacturing and distribution. Steven’s experience benefits companies through their entire lifecycle: from emerging entities through growth stages and transactions as well as maturity.
Steven has taken companies through the IPO and reverse merger processes, and numerous registration statements, including drafting sessions with investment bankers, attorneys, and ensuring compliance with SEC rules and regulations. Steven’s insight and guidance is based on his more than 25 years of auditing public companies and working with the SEC. Prior to joining the firm, he was with a Big 4 accounting firm.
Steven has been engaged by clients as an acting CFO (for a publicly traded biotech firm), as well as a pro bono advisor to early stage start-ups. He also serves on the Board and Executive Committee of a not-for-profit entity, currently holding the role of Treasurer.
Steven’s work is widely respected by colleagues and financial executives. He spearheads the firm’s annual research report, Concerns About Risks Confronting Boards, which is broadly acknowledged by major media and financial outlets, as well as by organizations focused on the issues of risk and reputation. His analysis of accounting- and risk-related topics is regularly quoted in professional publications, and he is a sought-after speaker at life sciences and technology conferences.
As a company leader, Steven has led numerous training sessions on critical topics, including audit methodology and Section 404 of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act.
- What words of wisdom or famous quote most influences you professionally?
- If you work hard and do the right thing, success will come.
- Where did you grow up?
- I grew up on Long Island in a town called New Hyde Park.
- Describe your college experience in one sentence.
- What a long, strange trip it's been.
- How do you enjoy spending your time outside the office?
- Spending time with my family, running, seeing live music and watching great TV (usually recommended by my kids).
- What are you most passionate about with your work?
- Helping others, whether that is making a connection for someone, developing those I work with, recruiting future employees, teaching classes or rolling up my sleeves to get something done.
- What piece of advice do you often give clients?
- Never let accounting drive business decisions.
- Why did you become a CPA?
- I took a bookkeeping class in high school and loved the puzzle solving aspect of it. Trial balances having to balance and making a cash flow statement work. I decided to go to college for accounting, really enjoyed the major, and from there became a CPA.
- If you had to choose another occupation, what would it be?
- Definitely a teacher
- What is the most played song on your iPod?
- My music varies widely, from the Grateful Dead to Elvis, to Green Day to Frank Zappa, to Johnny Cash to Iron Maiden.
- What is your favorite TV show?
- Changes constantly. This summer is Wayward Pines, Bojack Horseman and Daredevil. Still watch SNL, which I started watching in season 1. So happy to see Twin Peaks coming back, and would love to see Monk return.
- What was your favorite car that you owned?
- My first car, a yellow 1977 Dodge Aspen station wagon