- Partner, Eisner Advisory Group LLC
- Partner, EisnerAmper LLP
Michael McMurtry is a Partner in the firm’s National Office of Professional Practice, with more than 30 years of experience in technical consulting, auditing, accounting and tax services for a variety of public and private entities. Mike is responsible for consulting and leading discussions on the application of accounting principles, auditing standards, and regulations of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) to the firm’s clients, partners and staff.
Michael’s expertise includes initial public offerings, SEC filings, compliance with regulatory requirements. He is also a leader in the application of International Financial Reporting Standards for the firm, and leads internal training on current and prospective accounting, auditing and regulatory topics.
- What words of wisdom or famous quote most influences you professionally?
- Don't rush. If you don't take the time to get it right the first time, you'll spend more time fixing it later.
- Where did you grow up?
- Still working on it, but it seems my most valuable lessons were summers on my grandparents' farm in Idaho.
- Describe your college experience in one sentence.
- It was a great time in a great place that resulted in a career and lifetime friends, but that wasn't clear until much later.
- How do you enjoy spending your time outside the office?
- Coaching my son in baseball; spending time with my wife, son and four dogs; ham radio; bowling; model railroading.
- What are you most passionate about with your work?
- Helping staff and clients to get the right answer.
- Why did you become a CPA?
- My goal was to run a business, and I believed understanding the financials was critical, so I studied accounting. Becoming a CPA was necessary to be taken seriously.
- If you had to choose another occupation, what would it be?
- Music teacher/band conductor
- What is the most played song on your iPod?
- I Love Rock & Roll
- What is your favorite TV show?
- Big Bang Theory
- What is your favorite nonprofit to support?
- American Cancer Society, because my mother is a survivor.
- What was your favorite car that you owned?
- 67 VW Beetle. I abused it terribly by doing a full cloverleaf on two wheels, loading it with twice its weight, driving the length of California dozens of times … and it just kept going.