Laura L. Ross
Laura Ross is a Tax Partner in the Financial Services Group. With over 20 years of experience, she has extensive expertise in accounting and tax issues related to hedge funds, market makers, and pass-through entities and their owners. Laura signs tax returns for some of the most complicated security partnerships on behalf of the firm.
Laura frequently speaks at seminars and webinars on hedge fund taxation issues, and has been an adjunct professor teaching tax, accounting, and investment courses at local universities.
- What words of wisdom or famous quote most influences you professionally?
- "To be successful, you have to have your heart in your business, and your business in your heart." – Sir Thomas Watson
- Where did you grow up?
- San Francisco Bay Area
- Describe your college experience in one sentence.
- Everything is better the second time around.
- How do you enjoy spending your time outside the office?
- I go to about 30 rock concerts and shows each year. I also recently retired after 12 years as a foster parent – at a lot of the shows, the kids come with me.
- What client issue do you have a knack for resolving?
- Translating the tax code into English.
- Why did you become a CPA?
- I wanted to get a real job after working in the movie theater industry for many years.
- If you had to choose another occupation, what would it be?
- What is the most played song on your iPod?
- Enter Sandman or Private Idaho
- What is your favorite TV show?
- Star Trek
- What is your favorite nonprofit to support?
- The Humane Society, because I want all animals to be safe. I'm also a vegetarian.
- What was your favorite car that you owned?
- My first car was a '66 Chevy Chevelle. It was the size of a boat, and had a column shifter – as a result, I can drive anything!