Kenneth Weissenberg is a Tax Partner and Co-leader of the national Real Estate practice. His extensive experience encompasses all aspects of the real estate industry, ranging from developing tax saving strategies for owning and operating property to structuring and negotiating complex sales, acquisitions, and financing transactions. Ken has been involved in over $50 billion of real estate transactions over the last 30 years.
Providing expert insight from both the legal and business perspectives, Ken consults with a variety of public and private REITs on tax planning and compliance issues ,including REIT formations, property contributions, and mergers and acquisitions. He serves a diverse client base that includes privately held and publicly traded real estate companies as well as prominent hotel and hospitality entities and world-renowned restaurants. Ken has also served as an expert witness and arbitrator in a number of complex litigations involving real estate issues. He represents the owners of some of the most well-known properties in New York City.
For more than 20 years, Ken has also been a leader in developing tax and advisory services for same-sex couples and families. He serves as the National Leader of the LGBT and Alternative Family Services Group. He assists with tax issues facing high net worth individuals, trust and estate planning and the impact of tax laws effecting both LGBT couples and the businesses where they work.
Additionally, Ken is a frequent writer and speaker on topics for various professional groups and news organizations.
- What words of wisdom or famous quote most influences you professionally?
- If you enjoy what you do everyday, it doesn't feel like work.
- Where did you grow up?
- New York City, born and raised.
- Describe your college experience in one sentence.
- Learning about life and myself as much or more than any other subject.
- How do you enjoy spending your time outside the office?
- With my family having fun and sharing experiences.
- What are you most passionate about with your work?
- Meeting new people and learning new things every day makes working life interesting.
- What piece of advice do you often give clients?
- Enjoy life more and worry less.
- What client issue do you have a knack for resolving?
- Complex tax structuring is my forte. I always try to find a way to get to the right result.
- What is your favorite nonprofit to support?
- Lambda Legal has been on the forefront of the struggle for LGBT civil rights for the last 42 years. Without their tireless efforts, I would not be legally married, a proud parent, and possibly not a partner at a prestigious CPA firm like EisnerAmper. They have changed my world for the miraculously better.