Job #982: Senior Director of Finance - Pleasanton, CA (12-17-18)
- Job Title: Senior Director of Finance
- Location: California
- Salary: Open
Harvest CFO has been retained to provide a highly skilled Senior Director of Finance for the West Coast division of Sciens Building Solutions, a Private Equity (PE) backed growth-focused company that delivers complete fire protection, security, communication and electrical solutions that safeguards buildings and protects lives. The West Coast division works with its customers to design, install, service, and maintain fire detection and suppression systems, as well as leak detection and integrated security systems. This company primarily serves the technology, healthcare, financial services, education, government, and commercial end markets. Headquartered in San Francisco, CA, Sciens Building Solutions is a holding company focused on the fire detection and security services sector serving customers across the U.S. with integrated fire protection, security, communication and electrical systems for life safety, critical facilities and high value assets.
The West Coast division, headquartered in Pleasanton, CA, is currently generating approximately $30MM in annual revenues with solid profitability. This company has been in existence for more than 40 years and has a long-standing track record of success built on integrity and consistency in delivering value to its customers and suppliers and has an entrepreneurial culture that is steeped in technical expertise, customer service and employee engagement.
The Senior Director of Finance role for the West Coast division will have primary day-to-day “hands on” responsibility for planning, implementing, managing and controlling all financial and operational reporting. The Senior Director of Finance is a critical tactical and strategic management position reporting to the holding company CFO and dotted line reporting to the division President. The Senior Director of Finance is a key leadership role in the management of the company as well as in the development and execution of short and long-term strategy. The company has a collaborative leadership team, and the Senior Director of Finance is expected to be a true “business partner” and work effectively across all functional areas. The Senior Director of Finance is also expected to be a positive impact across the company and enhance the culture internally as well with customers, suppliers and key third parties.
This great opportunity includes significant career growth potential as well as a competitive compensation and benefit package.
Harvest CFO LLC is a premier provider of highly skilled financial leaders to PE portfolio and middle market companies across the U.S. for permanent and interim roles.
- Direct experience in private sector contractor related businesses; Fire detection, sprinkler, security, mechanical or electrical contracting and services is preferred.
- Successful experience:
• in a financial leadership role in a company with revenues of at least $30MM with proven ability to handle growth;
• in a Controller role in a private equity portfolio environment, or similar experience;
• implementing/managing project costing systems/processes;
• managing finance and accounting in regard to percentage of completion (POC) and work in process (WIP);
• optimizing cash flow and working capital including inventory management;
• managing an effective, metrics-based (KPI) reporting package/process;
• managing a robust customer and vendor data analytics reporting process;
• working as a business partner across all functions of an organization;
• in a leadership role for new systems evaluation and upgrades such as ERP, CRM or IT systems;
• change management experience in an entrepreneurial environment
- Reports directly to the holding company CFO with dotted line to the division President.
- Direct Reports – who reports directly to the Senior Director of Finance.
- Accounting staff
- Administrative staff
- Contract Administration staff
- Payroll and HR staff
- Procurement staff
- Warehouse staff
- CPA license required, MBA is desired
Primary Ongoing Functions and Skillsets
- Partners with holding company CFO and division President and General Manager to develop and implement goals, policies, priorities, financial strategy, linked metrics and procedures in regard to financial and operational management including budgeting and accounting.
- Establishes sound internal financial management control systems and develops procedures to continuously improve internal control systems.
- Leads preparation of ongoing required financial statements and operating reports ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Reviews financial statements and operating reports with all parties of interest including gap analysis and recommendations to improve performance.
- Oversee and ensure timely and accurate processing of transactions and accounting data and ensure legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions.
- Oversee various DOL, IRS, 401K and medical compliance regulations.
- Ensures timely and accurate payroll processing.
- Responsible for HR related matters including compliance with State and Federal requirements.
- Oversee DCAA and other compliance requirements for any publicly funded projects.
- Strong cost accounting skills including standard costing processes and percentage of completion (POC) revenue recognition.
- Solid inventory management skills. Responsible for managing inventory levels.
- Leads the coordination with CPA firm of preparation of external audit materials, external GAAP financial reporting and all tax compliance and reporting.
- Manage annual audit and auditor relations.
- Oversee contract reviews and negotiations. Set allowable contract standards and ensure compliance with 3rd party supply chain reviewers. Evaluate eligibility of new subcontractors and vendors.
- In conjunction with operations, responsible for achieving DSO and cashflow targets.
- Responsible for Monthly Business Review package and ownership and delivery to holding company CFO.
- Preparation/analysis of daily/weekly/monthly reports of key financial and operational metric trends.
- Partners with the holding company CFO and division President and General Manager to identify cash flow improvement opportunities including accounts receivable, accounts payable and inventory optimization.
- Assess organizational performance against budgets with functional leaders and management team.
- Manage ongoing banking, bonding and insurance requirements.
Quality Management and Improvement
- Focus on continuous improvement in accuracy and timeliness of ongoing financial and operational reporting.
- Partners with the holding company CFO and division President and General Manager to identify and implement company profit improvement opportunities including:
a. in operating margins by individual or sector of customers;
b. in operating margins by service offering;
c. identifying and implementing cost reductions to add value.
- Support, lead and drive internal Quality Management Systems (QMS) standards as appropriate to the areas the Controller manages.
Strategic and Analytical
- Displays orientation to profitability and aligns finance with strategic goals.
- Analytical abilities and solid communication skills as to what is driving the results.
- Provide management team with business forecasts that convey timely insights as to prospective profit impacts of changes in project pricing/project volume and/or cost reductions as needed and as market conditions dictate that enable better management decision making.
- Develop and manage processes and systems to provide management team with timely financial and operational information in regard to company performance compared to strategic/operation plan and make actionable strategic and tactical recommendations.
- Preparation and communication to management of capital budgets when necessary to justify prospective investments.
- Establishes credibility throughout the organization as an effective developer of solutions to business challenges.
- Ability to build solid working relationships across the organization including with management, workforce, customers, suppliers and key third parties.
IT and Technology
- Proficiency with technology systems and ERP implementations and upgrades and can leverage IT to gain competitive efficiencies.
- High proficiency with Excel and all MS Office applications.
Other Functions and Useful Skillsets
- Understanding of quality initiatives such as six sigma, lean or similar concepts.
- Risk management including appropriate tax, insurance and legal aspects/strategies to preserve and enhance company assets and growth plans.
Key Personal Attributes:
- Strong Leadership: A Proactive and Passionate Advocate for the Business.
- Exceptional Technical Skills Tailored to the Business.
- Sense of Urgency: “All Hands-on Deck”.
- A Proactive Partner with leadership and management team.
- Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well.
- Effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Accepts feedback from others; Gives appropriate recognition to others.
- Creates a sense of team spirit and helps to create a positive work environment.
- Ethics: Treats people with respect, keeps commitments; works with integrity and ethically. Upholds organizational core values. Follows through on commitments
- Strategic Thinking: Develops strategies to help achieve departmental and company goals.
- Oral/Written Communication Skills: Speaks/writes clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations. Listens and gets clarification.
- Actively participates in meetings. Presents himself/herself in a well-groomed professional manner.
- Innovation: Displays original thinking and creativity. Meets challenges with resourcefulness, generates suggestions for improving work and develops innovative approaches and ideas.
- Adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands, changes approach or method to best fit the situation, able to deal with change, delays or unexpected events.
- Strong organizational skills: versatile and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong work-ethic, detail-driven and a commitment to doing whatever it takes to get the job done.
- Demonstrates exceptional follow through.
- Occasional travel.
Interested candidates should e-mail resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mention that you are a member of EisnerAmper's Friends of the Firm program. Make sure to include Job #982 in the subject line and to copy Nkrumah Pierre and Isabella Brilliant at email@example.com on your email.