Job #962: Controller - Bergen County, NJ (12-7-18)
- Job Title: Controller
- Location: New Jersey
- Salary: Open
Harvest CFO has been retained to deliver a highly skilled Controller for a growth-focused, premier global supplier of specialty ingredients and select commodity products to leading multi-national cosmetic and personal care companies. Headquartered in Bergen County, New Jersey, the company partners with manufacturers who produce specialty chemicals in the U.S., Asia and Europe, and with consultants and independent laboratories to develop a comprehensive product offering. The company serves as a critical link in the cosmetic value chain, presenting ingredient solutions to its customers that optimize look, feel and performance of their products and to identify and develop new and innovative raw materials to sell into the market. The company has sales capabilities in North America, Europe, China, Japan and Korea, with customers serviced by two third-party logistics warehouses in New Jersey and the U.K. Founded over 25 years ago, the company is currently generating over $80MM in annual revenues with solid profitability and is backed by PE investors to help fuel growth. The company has achieved a track record of success built on integrity and consistency in delivering value to its customers and suppliers and has an entrepreneurial culture that is steeped with customer service, collaboration and employee engagement.
The newly created Controller position reports to the CFO and will have primary day-to-day “hands on” responsibility for the development and execution of day to day accounting processes, the maintenance of an effective internal control environment and the production of financial statements and other key reports for management. The Controller will also be a key contributor to planning, budgeting and forecasting activities. The company has a collaborative leadership team, and the Controller is expected to be a true “business partner”, and work effectively across all functional areas. The Controller is expected to have a positive impact across the company and enhance the culture internally as well with customers, suppliers and key third parties.
This great opportunity includes significant career growth potential as well as a competitive compensation and benefits package.
Harvest CFO LLC www.harvestcfo.com is a premier provider of highly skilled financial leaders to private equity (PE) portfolio companies for permanent and interim roles.
- Experience in value-add selling or distribution of specialty consumer industry ingredients; cosmetic industry sector a plus.
- Successful experience in a company with revenues of at least $50MM with proven ability to manage growth.
- Strong knowledge of GAAP, general ledger accounting and financial reporting.
- High proficiency and “hands on” experience in performing and managing daily accounting activities and monthly financial close processes.
- Experience in financial planning and analysis (FP&A) including customer and vendor data analytics reporting and metrics-based financial and operational reporting.
- Experience in coordinating with outside accounting firm regarding year-end audits and tax compliance.
- Experience with ERP systems improvements and upgrades.
- Experience working with operations on credit, freight, duties, and inventory management.
- Reports directly to the Company’s CFO.
- Reports to the Controller:
• Supervision of accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll processing and employee benefit plan administration.
- CPA license and/or MBA is a plus but not required.
Primary Ongoing Functions and Skillsets
- Partner with the CFO to develop and implement goals, policies, priorities, financial strategy, performance metrics and procedures regarding financial and operational management including budgeting, accounting, and reporting.
- Establish internal SOP’s for monthly close including prepare and post journal entries, reconcile G/L to A/R, A/P and Inventory sub-ledgers and preparation of bank reconciliations.
- Generate ongoing financial and operational reports including income statement, balance sheet and cash flow.
- Supervise credit and collection function including credit limit review and recommendations and A/R aging review and past due follow-up.
- Supervise accounts payable function including payment processing, check generation and initiate wire transfers.
- Prepare and submit bi-weekly payroll to third party processor and administration of employee benefit plans.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly VAT documentation including liaise with third party administrator.
- Prepare and file sales and use tax reports.
- Maintain accounting systems to ensure proper, complete and accurate processing of company transactions in accordance with GAAP.
- Maintain daily cash receipts and disbursements journal.
- Support budgeting and forecasting activities.
- Liaise with Operations on credit, freight, duties, and inventory.
- Identify, implement and document process improvements/automation across the finance function.
- Create, update and maintain SOP’s for all key finance functions.
- Prepare quarterly reporting packages for external lenders and prepare covenant analysis.
- Design, implement and maintain a travel expense tracking system.
- Coordinate and manage the annual audit process including external GAAP financial reporting and all tax compliance and reporting.
Quality Management and Improvement
- Focus on continuous improvement in accuracy and timeliness of ongoing financial and operational reporting.
Strategic and Analytical
- Assist in making key business decisions by providing special analysis.
- Identify metrics and design specific reporting to senior management.
- Analytical abilities and solid communication skills as to drivers of the results.
- Establishes credibility throughout the organization as an effective developer of solutions to business challenges.
- Ability to build solid working relationships across the organization including with management, workforce, customers, suppliers and key third parties.
IT and Technology
- Proficiency with ERP (Sage X3) and can leverage IT to gain efficiencies across the company.
- Highly proficient in mining data for financial analysis.
- High proficiency with Excel and all MS Office suite applications.
Key Personal Attributes
- Strong Leadership: A Proactive and Passionate Advocate for the Business.
- Exceptional Technical Skills Tailored to the Business.
- Strong Sense of Urgency and an “All Hands-on Deck” mentality and capability.
- A Proactive Partner with leadership and management team.
- Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well.
- Effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Accepts feedback from others; Gives appropriate recognition to others.
- Creates a sense of team spirit and helps to create a positive work environment.
- Ethics: Treats people with respect, keeps commitments; Ethical and works with integrity. Upholds organizational core values. Follows through on commitments.
- Strategic Thinking: Develops strategies to help achieve departmental and company goals.
- Oral/Written Communication Skills: Speaks/writes clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations. Listens and gets clarification.
- Actively participates in meetings. Presents himself/herself in a well-groomed professional manner.
- Innovation: Displays original thinking and creativity. Meets challenges with resourcefulness, generates suggestions for improving work and develops innovative approaches and ideas.
- Adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands, changes approach or method to best fit the situation, able to deal with change, delays or unexpected events.
- Strong organizational skills: versatile and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong work-ethic, detail-driven and a commitment to doing whatever it takes to get the job done.
- Demonstrates exceptional follow through.
Interested candidates should e-mail resumes to Steve Garland: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mention that you are a member of EisnerAmper's Friends of the Firm program. Make sure to include Job #962 in the subject line and to copy Nkrumah Pierre and Isabella Brilliant at email@example.com on your email.