Job #933: Director, General Accounting - Central, NJ (10-29-18)
- Job Title: Director, General Accounting
- Location: New Jersey
- Salary: $150,000 + bonus
Reporting to the Assistant Controller, the Director-General Accounting will be a CPA, with 15+ years of relevant experience in leading the monthly and quarterly financial close.
The candidate will be responsible for the supervision and management of general accounting activities, analyses, business partnership, as well as the maintenance of effective internal controls. The candidate will lead a team of 3-5 people and seek to continually improve processes and procedures for the monthly and quarterly close. In addition, this candidate will work closely with product line controllers to ensure the consolidated close is completed on an accelerated time frame so that senior management (including the CFO) can act on financial results and metrics on a timely basis.
In this role, the candidate will provide financial and business support to other areas within and out of Finance dept such as SOX Compliance, FP&A, Tax, Sales Ops, Legal, SEC Reporting, Marketing, Carrier Ops, and any other area that needs financial information from the general ledger.
As a leader in the Accounting department, this candidate will be charged with motivating, developing, and creating a departmental culture and vision, while ensuring the success of the monthly/quarterly close process.
The candidate will have had significant, successful, and proven experience leading a general accounting team.
Essential Job Functions:
Provide leadership to General Accounting team: The Director-General Accounting will act in a leadership capacity by supervising end-of-period close processes while supporting the analysis of the periodical business performance, budgets, and forecasts. The Director-General Accounting must lead by example and actively support a strong working culture of professionalism and respect for broader Finance team.
Foster a culture of continuous improvement: Director-General Accounting will continuously review and challenge all Finance processes and activities from a control perspective and bring forward improvement recommendations for consideration. Lead monthly financial close meetings to ensure that all issues affecting the close are identified and resolved. Work to develop and implement new, more efficient procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the department while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
Effective Communication: Ability to communicate effectively and influence at all levels within the organization. Communicate consolidated and monthly results including commentary and key financial metrics.
Interpersonal Skills: The Director-General Accounting will be able to:
- Work comfortably in a fast-paced, highly collaborative setting;
- Have an ability to manage multiple projects and meet tight deadlines;
- Have a confident and outgoing personality; work comfortably with senior business management;
- Be a self-starter and proactive requiring minimal supervision;
- Demonstrate an ability to remain calm and composed during times of stress and uncertainty, inspiring the same in their team;
- Constructively challenge and influence others
- Lead cross-functional teams for special projects
- Foster good, open communication, while promoting a culture of continuous learning and adherence to company values
- Coach and develop direct reports
Monthly Financial Close:
- Perform general ledger (G/L) account reconciliation, fixed asset accounting and capital project analysis
- Optimize the use of Oracle, routinely challenging the potential for process automation and improvement.
- Develop and maintain General Accounting KPI’s to manage efficiency and effectiveness of key accounting processes/ balances. Initiate reviews with appropriate stakeholders, establishing improvement actions and subsequent monitoring
- Preparation of journal entries for monthly accruals and re-classes of expenses.
- Preparation of ad hoc analyses as needed
- Lead and coordinate monthly closing meetings to discuss variances and ensure that the results are complete
- Prepare/review monthly reconciliations for select balance sheet accounts and investigate differences
- Liaise with other departments in order to provide insight into remaining balances
- Prepare the calculation and analysis of prepaid expenses, accrued expenses and certain P&L accounts
- Ensure adequate supporting documentations for journals and accounts are prepared and maintained
- Ensure that policies and procedures are applied consistently
- Special projects as assigned
- Gather and prepare information for audit, tax and SEC compliance activities
Specific Requirements (Technical Knowledge, Software, Etc.):
- CPA with 15+ years in a Finance department; public company experience a plus
- Proven ability to effectively lead teams focusing on motivating, coaching and empowering
- Strong understanding of US GAAP
- Experience with Oracle or similar ERP system
- Strong verbal/written communication skills
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to interpret and present Financial data in a Business context
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Excel, especially Vlooks and Pivot tables
Additional Skills (would like to have but not required):
- Telecom experience
- Green Belt Certification for Six-Sigma Process
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business or related field
- CPA required, MBA a plus
Interested candidates should contact Raymond Pirre at: email@example.com. Please mention that you are a member of EisnerAmper's Friends of the Firm program. Make sure to include Job #933 in the subject line and to copy Nkrumah Pierre at firstname.lastname@example.org on your email.