Job #860: Chief Financial Officer - Philadelphia, PA (8-7-18)
- Job Title: Chief Financial Officer
- Location: Pennsylvania
- Salary: Commensurate with experience
The Chief Financial Officer oversees the firm’s financial management systems, operations and services. This encompasses all personnel, systems and processes involved in budget planning and control, transaction processing, accounting and internal controls, financial analysis and reporting, tax compliance and reporting, cash management and other treasury functions.
He or she works closely with the Firm Chair, Managing Partner-Finance and Operations, Department Chairs, Office Managing Partners, Practice Group Leaders and individual partners to promote and facilitate firm, department, office, practice and engagement management and profitability.
He or she works closely with the Directors of (Legal Department) Practice Management, with the Administrative Department Heads and other members of the administrative management team to identify opportunities for greater efficiency and cost savings and to facilitate the overall management of expenses.
The essential objectives of the Chief Financial Officer are to design, develop and oversee the functions at the firm that ensure that:
- transaction processing and routine accounting and financial information services are efficiently and effectively delivered, in a manner consistent with high standards of client service and with the firm’s culture;
- the firm’s legal services are properly and profitably priced, and that its investments in those services are accurately captured and timely recovered or converted to fee revenue;
- operating and capital budgets are timely and efficiently prepared and presented, and are monitored on an ongoing basis and revised as needed to support effective financial management;
- accounting records are efficiently and consistently maintained, and are accurate, complete and fairly presented in financial statements;
- internal controls are appropriately designed and operating effectively to mitigate significant business risks, to ensure compliance with the code of professional conduct, to ensure that records and reports are reliable and to safeguard the assets of the firm and the partners;
- the firm complies with applicable tax and other laws and regulations;
- the firm complies with applicable contractual obligations, including:
- pricing and billing rules and constraints included in legal services agreements with clients; and
- the financial provisions of loan, lease, compensation and other agreements;
- information and analysis provided to firm, department, office, practice and administrative management is accurate, complete, and relevant for strategic business planning, operational control and decision making, as applicable, and that it is delivered timely and efficiently in a user- friendly format;
- the firm plans for and maintains adequate, prudent and cost-effective sources of financing for working capital needs as well as for long-term strategic investments; and
- opportunities to improve profitability through revenue enhancement, leverage and cost control are identified and realized.
Organizational Design and Development
- On an ongoing basis, assess the leadership, technical and professional skills required to achieve department objectives and to meet the evolving financial management needs of the firm, and design the department’s organizational structure accordingly.
- Recruit and retain personnel with the requisite Ensure that their compensation is fair and competitive, and that they receive the ongoing direction, motivation, training and development that they need to function effectively as individuals and as a team.
- Ensure that key positions within the department organizational structure have a clear, workable succession plan, and attend to the leadership and professional development needed to implement that plan.
- Identify and cultivate relationships with key outside service providers, including but not limited to outside accountants providing audit, tax and other consulting services, depository and lender banks, payroll and payroll tax service Ensure that services provided are responsive, efficient and cost-effective.
Financial Management Systems Evaluation, Design and Development
- On an ongoing basis, evaluate the technology, tools and processes in place to achieve accounting and finance department objectives and to meet the evolving financial management needs of the firm efficiently and These include transaction processing systems and processes, budgeting, reporting and analytical tools used to support profitability management, operational and strategic decision making, and risk management.
- Ensure the effective use of technology to automate and streamline reporting and work-flow where possible to ensure consistency and quality in service and work-product, while minimizing cost.
- Cultivate strong relationships with vendors that develop and support key financial management systems to ensure responsive, efficient and cost-effective service, to minimize down-time, and to ensure smooth transitions in critical system conversions and Participate in user groups and cultivate relationships with colleagues at other firms who use our key systems to share information and best practices, and to coordinate efforts to resolve significant systems issues that affect Ballard Spahr and others in the respective user communities.
Operational and Project Management
- Develop collaborative working relationships with, and understand the priorities of, firm, department, office, practice and other members of the business support and administrative management Ensure that accounting and financial management goals and activities are properly aligned in support of those priorities.
- Ensure that the department is highly responsive to requests for financial information and service, and maintain cost-effective staffing and other resources needed to efficiently and effectively execute operational and transactional services.Ensure that significant financial management projects (both recurring and ad hoc) are properly planned and managed to effective completion, on time and on budget.
- Examples of significant recurring projects would include the operating and capital budgets, financial statement audits, tax return and partner Schedule K-1 preparation, support of the committee that sets partner compensation, debt compliance and periodic accounts receivable collections campaigns.
- Examples of significant non-recurring projects would include financial management system implementations and upgrades, as well as financial due diligence and integration efforts in connection with mergers or acquisitions of lateral groups.
- Ensure timely and effective communications with firm and practice management, and with other stakeholders, with respect to the planning and progress of projects and initiatives, and to any issues or problems that may arise in connection therewith.
- Ensure that critical internal accounting, ethical and business controls are properly designed, incorporated into our financial management processes, and operating effectively.
- Oversee the systems supporting the intake of new business to ensure that adequate controls are in place to mitigate credit and other business risks, and to ensure compliance with client billing guidelines.
Education, Experience and Skills Required:
- Bachelors or Master’s Degree in Certification as a CPA and public accounting experience preferred.
- Minimum of ten years of accounting, tax and financial management experience, preferably in a law firm or other professional services environment
- Strong technical skills in accounting, tax, and financial management
- Strong analytical skills
- Demonstrated leadership and organizational skills
- Strong problem solving skills and creativity
- Strong verbal and writing skills
- Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Conversant with accounting and financial management software applications, and the effective implementation thereof
- Facility with systems and work-flow design and implementation in the realm of accounting and financial management
- Judgment and discretion, and ability to maintain confidences
- Ability and willingness to work more than 40 hours per week as needed to perform essential job functions functions
Interested candidates should apply directly here: Chief Financial Officer. Please mention that you are a member of EisnerAmper's Friends of the Firm program. After you apply please send Nkrumah Pierre and Jennifer Rosener an email at: EisnerAmper Friends of the Firm stating you have just have applied for Friends of the Firm Job #860.