Job #843: Bookkeeper & Office Manager - Jersey City, NJ (7-25-18)
- Job Title: Bookkeeper & Office Manager
- Location: New Jersey
- Salary: $60,000 - $80,000
Industry & Company Summary:
Urban Property Managers (“UPM”) is an asset and property management, professional services firm that currently services only the business owner’s stabilized, real estate development portfolio consisting of (1) regional property manager and (1) business/asset manager with multiple field staff and third-party sub-contractors required to service the buildings.
There are two (2) stabilized rental properties totaling 131 rental apartment units—Saint Pauls LLC (55 units) and Jersey Avenue MM LLC (78 units)—in two separate buildings and 10,000 sf of commercial as a mixed-use component of 532 Jersey Ave. There is one (1) surface parking lot with one (1) surface tenant under Overlook LLC. And there are two (2) entities with Construction in Progress—North Street Properties Urban Renewal LLC (72 rental units) and Green on Pine LLC (98 rental units) that will be delivered to market in the next one-to-two years.
The Bookkeeper & Office Manager for UPM will be the sole manager of the day-to-day accounting for the above referenced entities: UPM, Saint Pauls LLC and Jersey Avenue MM LLC. This role requires an understanding of basic accounting principals as it applies to the real estate industry, especially income producing properties. The primary software for property and accounting management is ResMan, which is required to be mastered over-time. Interfacing with multiple levels of personnel, vendors and customers requires excellent communication skills and sensitivity to the appropriate level of team work and or customer service required for ownership, corporate’s controller, the asset/business manager, property-level manager, building staff, third party sub-contractors, apartment residents and commercial tenants. Monthly reports to ownership are described below and required to be completed in collaboration with the Regional Property Manager as well as the business/asset manager. This person must uphold the core corporate values for UPM at all times.
The Bookkeeper & Office Manager reports directly to UPM’s business/asset manager as well as the controller for the Owner’s investment portfolio, who will collectively be responsible for job performance evaluations. On an ongoing basis, the Bookkeeper & Office Manager will receive assignments from UPM’s business/asset manager, Ownership’s controller, Ownership’s Administrative Assistant, and UPM’s Regional Property Manager. Day-to-day work will be completed hand-in-hand with the Regional Property Manager as the property and accounting management software integrates/requires both operational and financial inputs to complete transactions/tasks.
Job Requirements (Skills and Competencies):
The Bookkeeper & Office Manager completes the day-to-day accounting functions for the Company. In addition, the Controller must possess the following skills and abilities:
- An understanding of the Real Estate industry as it relates to income producing properties.
- Flexible working hours that may require evening and weekend work.
- Strong leadership, organizational, and planning skills, and an ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team, with a variety of people.
- Ability to deal with all situations diplomatically.
- Discretion—ability to handle sensitive matters, sharing details and information on a need-to-know basis.
- Excellent analytical skills and highly organized work habits.
- College degree in accounting a plus; basic account/bookkeeping skills required.
- At least 5 years of experience in accounting, financial management or related field, with an emphasis on the real estate/property management sector.
- Ability to effectively monitor and evaluate performance as well as to recommend improvements in a way that teaches staff/ownership proactively and reduces probability for recurring errors.
- Strong computer (including Microsoft Suite) and QuickBooks skills.
- Familiarity with ResMan property and accounting management software a strong plus.
- Review Delinquency Reports on the 5th of every month.
- Prepare Financial Reports for Monthly Ownership Meeting - (Bank Deposit Detail, Transaction Summary Report & Reconciliation Report) with Property and Business/Asset Manager.
- Prepare monthly Ownership Distribution Recommendations with Property and Business/Asset Manager.
- Ensure Reserve Schedule is up to date and accurate on a monthly basis before presenting to Ownership.
- Review & Process all Move in/ Move out inspection sheets and security deposit checks
- Ensure Tenant Escrow accounts are accurate and up- to date with processed security deposits
- Conduct Move out Reconciliation for all Tenants on ResMan
- Update Tenant lease renewal rates on ResMan
- Ensure all tenants can make Rent payments through ResMan/Aptexx on a Monthly Basis
- Ensure all Tenant Deposits, ledger and Recurring Charges are accurate on ResMan.
- Assess Late fees on ResMan and Report Monthly Delinquency Report to Property Manager
- Input all invoices and expenses into our Property management system (ResMan) per cost code.
- Complete Bank Account reconciliations including closing of each period and running an analysis report.
- Prepare checks for signing by Ownership and Business Manager as required.
- Prepare and Record all Bank Deposits
- Ensure COI’s are on-file and current
- Manage expenses and payroll for assets under management
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing System
- UPM office service Contracts
- Maintain and Update all ResMan Accounts and Vendor Information
- Update W-9, Vendor Information and transaction Cost codes
- Ensure all company activity (Invoices & Expenses) are backed- up both Hard Copy and Digital
Interested candidates should contact Zach Aliberti firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mention that you are a member of EisnerAmper's Friends of the Firm program. Make sure to include Job #843 in the subject line and to copy Nkrumah Pierre and Jennifer Rosener at email@example.com on your email.