Job #842: Controller - East Orange, NJ (7-23-18)
- Job Title: Controller
- Location: New Jersey
- Salary: $110,000 - $140,000
FM Companies is a general reference to the closely held, investment portfolio started by Milton Fantin—the key principal—consisting of sixteen separate companies—the earliest dating back to 1995. Below is a summary of the four (4) primary industries:
- Roofing and Siding General Contracting Companies—FM Home Improvement Inc & FM Construction Group LLC—that grossed $58.8MM in revenues and has approximately ten (10) back-office staff.
- Material Supply, Light Manufacturing and Distribution—Fantin Supply House LLC—that grossed $18.8MM in receives and has approximately four (4) back-office staff.
- Construction, Development and Property Management Professional Services Companies—Urban Property Developers Inc & Urban Property Managers LLC—that only services Milton’s real estate with four (4) back-office staff among the two companies.
- Single Purpose Real Estate Entities: Two (2) Stabilized Rental Properties: Saint Pauls LLC (55 units) and Jersey Avenue MM LLC (78 units); and Three (3) Construction in Progress: Hackensack Plank Road Developers LLC (8 units for sale); North Street Properties Urban Renewal LLC (72 rental units); Green on Pine LLC (98 rental units).
The controller oversees all companies’ accounting policies and procedures, including teaching and management of accounting staff. He or she ensures proper financial reporting in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and ensures the maintenance of an effective internal control environment. To complete financial reports, the controller must work hand-in-hand with all operational managers and personnel to ensure that proper procedures have been followed—communication is key. The reports issued by the controller are frequently used as part of a company’s official financial statement, and, as such, external auditors, lenders, and other partners may scrutinize this reporting. The controller works with the senior management of the company on budgetary and forecasting issues as well. The person in this position must ensure that forecasts are reasonable and attainable. This person must uphold the core corporate values for Milton’s investment portfolio at all times.
The Controller reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer and his Administrative Assistant, who will be responsible for job performance evaluations. On an ongoing basis, the Controller will receive assignments from the Chief Executive Officer and/or his Administrative Assistant. Significant ability to transition into the CFO role over time.
- All Accounting Department Staff
- Payroll Coordinator
Job Requirements (Skills and Competencies):
The Controller Plans, organizes, directs, and evaluates the accounting function for the Company. The Controller also identifies department goals, recommends budget and appropriate staffing to accomplish goals in an efficient and cost-effective manner. In addition, the Controller must possess the following skills and abilities:
- A comprehensive understanding of the Construction, Distribution (Inventory) and Real Estate industries as well as the unique requirements for accounting and financial management in those various industries.
- Flexible working hours that may require evening and weekend work.
- Strong leadership, organizational, and planning skills, and an ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team, with a variety of people.
- Ability to deal with all situations diplomatically.
- Discretion—ability to handle sensitive matters, sharing details and information on a need-to-know basis.
- Excellent analytical skills and highly organized work habits.
- College degree in accounting; advanced degree preferred. At least 10 years of experience in accounting, financial management or related field, with an emphasis on the construction sector.
- Ability to effectively monitor performance and evaluate subordinates as well as to communicate improvements in a way that teaches subordinates proactively and reduces probability for recurring errors.
- Strong computer (including Microsoft Suite) and QuickBooks skills.
- Familiarity with ResMan property and accounting management software as well as DMSI inventory and accounting management software a strong plus.
- Provide leadership and coordination in all companies’ administrative, accounting and budgeting efforts.
- Develop and coordinate the operational functions of the accounting department.
- Develop internal control policies, guidelines, and procedures for activities such as budget administration, cash and credit management, and accounting.
- Review account invoices, deposits, payroll, and benefits.
- Maintain and monitor controls over assets, liabilities, profit and loss, tax liability, and other financial activities, utilizing generally accepted accounting principles.
- Ensure that financial records are kept accurately and according to both internal for upper management, external for bank, and sales/use/income tax reporting, policies, procedures, and systems.
- Prepare or direct preparation of financial statements, business activity reports, financial position forecasts, annual budgets, and/or reports required by regulatory and financing agencies.
- Maintain and interpret financial records and statements to prepare and communicate financial reports to upper management and external CPA service provider.
- Lead month end reporting and analysis of fixed costs and balance sheet analysis.
- Prepare on current projects, actual performance versus budget and prior year data.
- Assist with annual, quarterly and monthly budgets, forecasts, and reports, including profits/losses by business unit.
- Identify areas for cost reductions and operational improvements.
Interested candidates should contact Zach Aliberti firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mention that you are a member of EisnerAmper's Friends of the Firm program. Make sure to include Job #842 in the subject line and to copy Nkrumah Pierre and Jennifer Rosener at email@example.com on your email.