Job #775: Business Unit Leader - Germany (5-16-18)
- Job Title: Business Unit Leader
- Location: Germany
- Salary: Commensurate with experience + commission + bonus
Northern Swan Holdings, Inc. (“Northern Swan”) is an opportunistic, New York-based holding company focused on investments in the rapidly-growing global medical cannabis industry. Northern Swan pursues investment opportunities globally and its management team has collectively invested in excess of $3 billion of capital at Blackstone, KKR, and Och-Ziff prior to founding Northern Swan. A successful candidate will join a fast-growing company that offers opportunities for career growth, a competitive salary, and daily opportunities to work with accomplished investors and business leaders.
Northern Swan is seeking to hire a motivated business professional who will function as Northern Swan’s business unit leader in Germany. The successful candidate’s primary job responsibilities will cover a wide array of strategic and execution-oriented tasks, and we expect the role to be in constant evolution as the firm and its business expands across Germany and ultimately into broader Europe.
The ideal candidate will have a blend of operating experience as part of a leadership team of a mid-to-large sized enterprise, as well as top-tier management consulting and/or pharmaceutical business development. Cross-industry and cross-functional experience, strong writing and analytic capabilities, and strong leadership skills are also key desired attributes.
The successful candidate will work closely with the firm’s investment professionals, portfolio company leadership teams, and professional service firms to help open new markets and distribution pipelines, drive performance improvement in Northern Swan’s portfolio companies, conduct due diligence on new commercial opportunities, and expand business operations in Germany and across broader Europe. Initial business development targets may include opening new sales and distribution channels, identifying and negotiating partnership opportunities, and liaising with value-add counterparties.
- Write tailored, persuasive and high-quality responses to relevant government authorities to support the firm’s various distribution license application efforts across Germany and broader Europe. The German business unit leader will collaborate with external advisors to source detailed inputs from management and key decision makers to craft differentiated, well positioned responses to ensure that regulatory filings, applications, and RFP questions are comprehensively answered and that written responses are appropriately customized for the specific opportunity.
- Develop a strong knowledge base of the firm's products, assets, investment and distribution approach and other aspects of the corporate platform to effectively understand and respond to regulatory requests.
- Support management teams to develop and implement detailed, milestone-driven operating plans that focus on driving performance improvement and expansion opportunities.
- Provide both strategic and tactical counsel to portfolio company leadership teams leveraging operations, strategy, and financial expertise.
- Assist management teams in driving cross-functional performance improvement programs including activities such as, but not limited to, supply chain optimization, sales/marketing effectiveness, cost reduction, corporate strategy, and other performance improvements.
- Work with external advisors and deal teams to assess and analyze underlying Eurozone markets, competitive landscapes, and target organization capabilities and strategies. In addition, this individual will need to cultivate strong relationships with the management of our distribution partners to engender support for and competitively position our portfolio companies as preferred partners.
- Manage historical records by maintaining detailed accounts on distribution markets and customer sales.
- Recommends changes in products, service, and policy by evaluating material legislative changes, business results and competitive developments.
- Monitors competition by gathering current marketplace information on pricing, products, delivery schedules, merchandising techniques, etc.
- 7-15 years of business experience, including a combination of sales, marketing, legal and/or corporate operating experience.
- Domain expertise with pharmaceutical, industrial, consumer, healthcare, insurance, technology, and/or business services companies.
- Analytic and business process orientation with the ability to dig into detailed financial and operating information and identify trends, process improvement opportunities and strategic implications.
- Strong board and C-level presentation construction and delivery capabilities, including a strong capability to synthesize and construct arguments.
- Willingness to travel.
- Communication Skills & Relationship Building – Outstanding verbal and written communication skills in German and English. Strong attention to detail in writing and editing documents is key. We are seeking a strong negotiator who communicates with passion and who is highly articulate. Our ideal candidate makes arguments in a compelling manner and is able to work effectively with strong, diverse teams of people with multiple perspectives and talents.
- Analytical Skills - Able to "deep dive" into the details of the business while staying focused on the big picture.
- Judgment - Makes recommendations and decisions that balance a variety of factors (e.g. cost, risk, short-term vs. long-term impact) to achieve an optimal sales outcome.
- Driving Results - Sets dramatic, compelling goals and aggressive schedules for improvement. Pursues long-term visionary goals over time and translates the vision/mission of the organization into actionable, quantitative plans. Conveys a sense of urgency, and drives issues to closure.
A minimum of a Bachelor's degree in finance, marketing, public relations, or business administration. The ideal candidate will have a combination of finance, legal, or management consulting in their background.
Salary levels will be competitive and commensurate with experience and will be coupled with a generous commission and bonus package.
Interested candidates should contact Northern Swan at: email@example.com . Please mention that you are a member of EisnerAmper's Friends of the Firm program. Make sure to copy Nkrumah Pierre, firstname.lastname@example.org, and Jennifer Rosener, email@example.com, on your email.