Job #742: Chief Financial Officer - Columbia, MD (4-6-18)
- Job Title: Chief Financial Officer
- Location: Columbia, MD
- Salary: Open
Soil Safe operates soil recycling facilities in New Jersey, Maryland and California. The company processes petroleum impacted soil and similar materials into engineered products meeting market specifications for use. Since their founding in 1989, Soil Safe has recycled more than 27 million tons for use outside of landfills in a variety of construction and development projects, many of which they operate and perform themselves. The company specializes in developing large, stable markets for their products at both brownfield and greenfield projects. The developments are for their own account or working with others, including two large public-private partnerships involving our host communities. Current projects encompass over 1,100 acres, including:
- Logan, NJ - 160 ac. SSI owned
- Gloucester County Park, NJ - 250 ac.
- Rahway Arch Properties, NJ - 126 ac.
- Brandywine, MD - 280 ac. SSI owned
- Upper Marlboro, MD - 300 ac. SSI owned
Soil Safe performs the site investigation, modeling, engineering, permitting, soil tracking, reporting, construction and close-out documentation services for these developments.
The company sources and qualifies all recyclable raw materials used for these projects. This includes non-hazardous petroleum impacted soils, clean soils, rock, incidental CABB, and dredge materials. Materials not meeting requirements are not accepted.
Soils are processed into engineered fill using our demonstrated stabilization technology on the East Coast and thermal desorption/combustion on the West Coast. Clean dredge material is used to make manufactured topsoil. All materials are tested before shipment and again after processing to ensure compliance with permits and physical, geotechnical and environmental end-use specifications.
Procedures are followed and documented as part of our risk management and liability protection program. All test results are archived to demonstrate compliance through the project life-cycle and beyond. Engineered materials are placed according to protocol developed to ensure structural stability is maintained. Recycling certifications and as-built documentation are permanently maintained. Records are provided to regulatory agencies and inspections occur frequently. Audits are routinely performed and our customers rely on us to do what others can’t.
Over the past 27 years, there have been a few challenges to Soil Safe's operations. These are dealt with immediately and their archives allow solid defense for themselves and their customers and partners. Soil Safe’s environmental compliance and health and safety records are by far the best in tProvide insight and recommendations to both the company’s short-term and long-term growth plans. Create and establish yearly financial objectives that align with the company’s plan for growth.he business.
As a key member of the management team, the Chief Financial Officer will report to the Chief Executive Officer and assume a strategic role in the overall management of the company, which provides recycling services throughout the northeast. The Chief Financial Officer will have primary day-to-day responsibility for planning, implementing, managing, and controlling all financial-related activities of the company. This will include direct responsibility for accounting, finance, forecasting, strategic planning, job costing, investor relationships and private/institutional financing. The Chief Financial Officer will serve as a strategic partner and sounding board to the CEO and must be ready to take a hands-on approach in helping to manage a successful, but lean business.
Strategy, Planning, and Management
- Act as Chief Financial Officer and strategic business partner to the Chief Executive Officer and management team.
- Assess and evaluate the financial performance of the company with regard to long-term operational goals, budgets, and forecasts.
- Participate in pivotal decisions as they relate to strategic initiatives and operational models.
- Identify, acquire, and implement systems and software to provide critical financial and operational information. Make suggestions for automating processes and increasing working efficiency.
- Communicate, engage and interact with Board of Directors, Chief Executive Officer, and management team. Coordinate preparation of materials for quarterly Board of Directors meetings.
- Represent company to banks, financial partners, institutions, investors, auditors, and potential partners.
- Recruit, interview and hire finance, accounting, and payroll staff as required.
Financial Analysis, Budgeting and Forecasting:
- Develop and maintain monthly operating budget and annual company operating budget.
- Prepare and present monthly financial budgeting reports including monthly profit and loss by business unit and forecast vs. budget by business unit.
- Review and analyze monthly financial results and provide recommendations.
- Identify, develop, and execute analysis of business initiatives.
- Utilize forward-looking models and activity-based analyses to provide financial insight into the organization’s plans and operating budgets.
- Develop and maintain long term multi-year business forecast in partnership with Chief Executive Officer and management team.
Accounting, General Ledger, Administration and Operations:
- Oversee the preparation and communication of monthly and annual financial statements. Ensure timeliness and accuracy of financial and management reporting data for investors and company’s Board of Directors.
- Oversee the month-end close process including general ledger accounts, balance sheet accounts, and overhead cost allocation. Continually review procedures while eliminating inefficiencies.
- Supervise the accounting department to ensure the proper functioning of all systems, databases, and financial software. Provide regular maintenance and backup of all accounting systems and supervise company financial staff.
- Review and ensure application of appropriate internal controls, tax compliance, and financial procedures.
- Oversee the preparation and timely filing of all local, state, and federal tax returns.
- Serve as a key point of contact for external auditors. Manage preparation and support of all external audits.
- Remain current on audit best practices as well as state, federal and local laws regarding company operations.
Financial and Cash Management:
- Manage cash flow planning process and ensure funds availability.
- Oversee cash, investments, and asset management area.
- Oversee weekly cash management, approve large payables, sign checks, authorize large wires and ACHs.
- Supervise accounts receivable collection and provide hands-on management relating to the collection process.
- Explore new investment opportunities and provide recommendations on potential returns and risks.
- Maintain outstanding banking relationships and strategic alliances with vendors and business partners.
- 10-15 years’ experience in the top financial leadership position with both large and small- to medium-sized ($50 Million or more) investor backed company, preferably an industrial product/services business.
- CPA or MBA is required. Previous experience in a private equity backed business is required.
- Extensive track record of fundraising, including both debt and equity to support company growth plans.
- Experience with mergers and acquisitions of industrial businesses.
- Ability to contribute to company leadership outside of the finance function.
- Track record of building and managing great teams across several disciplines.
- Experience providing overall leadership to other functional areas including information technology, human resources, investor relations, external auditors, internal controls and legal is desired.
- Strong experience executing the financial aspects of a rapidly growing and expanding business.
- Proven ability to perform in lean, dynamic, high-visibility, high-growth environments.
- Experience driving successful growth and scale up of an industrial-based business to a successful exit.
- Proven leadership, management and organizational skills with a track record of results.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Interested candidates should contact Kevin Brown at: email@example.com. Please mention that you are a member of EisnerAmper's Friends of the Firm program. Make sure to copy Nkrumah Pierre, firstname.lastname@example.org, and Jennifer Rosener, email@example.com, on your email.