Job #651: Senior Vice President Finance - New York, NY (11-14-17)
- Job Title: Senior Vice President Finance
- Location: New York, NY
- Salary: $230,000 - $250,000
The ASPCA was founded by Henry Bergh in 1866 on the belief that animals are entitled to kind and respectful treatment at the hands of humans, and must be protected under the law. Headquartered in New York City, the ASPCA has an annual operating budget of $225M+ and 900+ talented staff nationally. The ASPCA maintains a full-service animal hospital, spay/neuter clinic, rehabilitation center for canine victims of cruelty, kitten nursery and adoption facility. In addition, the ASPCA announced a groundbreaking anti-cruelty partnership with the New York Police Department in 2013, which has resulted in a record-breaking number of arrests and animals’ lives saved.
The ASPCA also operates programs and services that extend nationwide, including a Field Investigation and Response team that rescues animal victims of natural and man-made disasters, a fully-subsidized spay/neuter clinic in Los Angeles, a Behavioral Rehabilitation Center for fearful, under-socialized dogs, and a 24-hour, 365-day Animal Poison Control Center that provides pet owners and veterinarians with live, on-call assistance related to toxic products and substances. In 2015, the ASPCA acquired Humane Alliance, the nation’s leading training and education organization focusing on high-quality, high-volume spay/neuter.
The ASPCA is a privately funded 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization supported by more than 2 million animal advocates across the country.
For more information, please visit: www.aspca.org
From playing a critical leadership role in setting the ASPCA's overall strategy and goals to building and executing a strategic financial plan, the Senior Vice President (SVP) Finance will directly impact the ASPCA’s mission to ensure animals live good lives: valued by society, protected by its laws, and free from cruelty, pain and suffering.
The SVP Finance, leading a finance team of around 30 people, will manage a best-in-class systems-enabled finance function across accounting, treasury, budgeting, purchasing, planning and analysis, forecasting and financial reporting. The finance function serves the organization's multiple programs and sites nationally, and inspires passionate staff to increase their financial ownership.
The right person for this role will elevate Finance's connections across the ASPCA to meet our complex needs and enable future growth. We are seeking a leader who can combine a commitment to our mission with a passion to lead a solutions-oriented team that partners deeply on critical operating decisions throughout the organization.
The SVP Finance reports to the President & CEO and has 4 direct reports: Controller; Vice President Finance; Senior Director Centralized Services; and, Administrative Manager Finance. The position is based in New York City, NY.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a dynamic financial leader with at least 15 years of professional experience and an impressive track record of accomplishments in senior finance roles within high-performing, mission-driven environments that are complex, preferably across one or more of the following: high-volume consumer transactions; large-scale investments in donor- or client-acquisition strategies; multiple, co-existing program models; and ERP systems, such as Workday. An MBA in accounting or finance, and/or CPA desired.
Additionally, the successful candidate brings a demonstrated ability to:
- Cultivate a high-performing, action-oriented and values-driven team
- Think strategically while implementing pragmatically
- Adapt to, lead and manage change, prioritizing and re-prioritizing as needed within a dynamic, high-growth environment while maintaining focus on strategic and mandated goals
- Build and maintain trust-based relationships on the Executive Leadership Team, and partnerships across functions, programs and locations
- Communicate at all levels within and outside of the organization, including a Board of Directors, audit firms, bankers, lawyers, and key internal partners
- Solve complex problems creatively and collaboratively
Exemplifying the ASPCA’s core values, the SVP, Finance must:
- Have Commitment and dedication to improving the lives of animals
- Demonstrate Ownership and feels responsible for outcomes
- Believe in Team – that we are stronger together
- Seek to Elevate others and reimagine what is possible
- Focus on Impact, specifically making change for animals
- Financial Strategy & Planning (25%)
- Lead the annual, organizational budget process, working closely with the President & CEO, SVP Operations & Strategy, and SVP, Development; design the process, develop the annual plan for it, and implement the plan, culminating in the approval of the budget by the Board
- Manage, plan, and organize the financial operations of the organization to support the ASPCA’s business, including ongoing operations and new initiatives
- Build and execute a strategic financial plan that supports the ASPCA’s short- and medium-term plans and long-term vision, including the development of forecasting capability
- Report financials directly to the President & CEO, Executive Leadership Team, and relevant committees of the Board, including the Finance Committee and the Audit Committee
- Engage fully on the Executive Leadership Team demonstrating full ownership for all organization-wide decisions; provide the President & CEO as well as the Executive Leadership Team with direct feedback and guidance when needed
- Finance Team Leadership and Management (40%)
- Provide outstanding management and leadership of the finance and procurement teams of over 30 employees, ensuring there is an appropriate structure and strong management across general accounting, accounts payable, travel and expense processing, payroll, treasury, budgeting, reporting and procurement
- Lead and develop the finance team to embody organizational core values, build strong relationships across the organization and be seen as a value-added partner to program, operational and fundraising/development teams
- Ensure high-quality processes are in place to support the ASPCA’s needs and objectives, and that processes are continuously improved, including appropriate expansion of the procurement function
- Ensure the finance team, and the organization as a whole, strategically use the ASPCA’s Workday ERP system
- Implement best practices to facilitate the production of timely, accurate, and actionable financial information in an efficient manner for multiple levels of the organization
- Actively participate in the governance of Workday as an ASPCA-wide resource and member of Steering Committee
- Ensure Finance team regularly assesses technology (and business process) function, quality, efficiency, sustainability, reporting and improvement needs. Initiate technology implementation and optimization projects as needed, and ensure effective execution of projects
- Ensure Finance team identifies training needs, and works with internal Workday team to deploy training that ensures the organization effectively utilizes Workday Finance
- Ensure all financial audits and related filings (e.g., Form 990) are completed on-time and in good standing (e.g., unqualified opinion)
- Demonstrate commitment to the ASPCA’s mission by ensuring the priorities and actions of the finance team contribute to improving the lives of animals, either directly or indirectly
- Financial Alignment with the Business (35%)
- Ensure timely and accurate analysis of budgets, financial trends, and forecasts along with support for executive leadership and budget managers within the organization
- Maintain a close partnership with the SVP, Development to support all financial and revenue aspects of donations to the ASPCA; ensure there is regular and appropriate data shared between donor and financial systems
- Ensure appropriate partnership between finance and the ASPCA’s Grants Department to support all financial and reporting aspects of the ASPCA’s grant making
- Maintain strong relationships with ASPCA’s program leadership to ensure an understanding of their varied financial needs; align the finance team’s priorities accordingly
- Develop strong partnerships and lines of communication with SVP, Operations & Strategy and operational counterparts in people (HR), IT, legal, and real estate/facilities to ensure cross-functional work is fully supported from a financial perspective
- Remain up-to-date and knowledgeable on practices, standards, interpretations, laws, rules, and procedures related to non-profit rents, financial management and accounting