Job #647: Senior Vice President, Accounting - Jersey City, NJ (11-9-17)
- Job Title: Senior Vice President, Accounting
- Location: Jersey City, NJ
- Salary: $225,000 - $250,000 + bonus + equity
Jackson Hewitt is the fastest growing full-service tax preparation financial services company in the United States, with more than 6,500 franchised and company-owned locations, including 3,000 Wal-Mart locations. Backed by H.I.G. Capital, Jackson Hewitt is headquartered in Jersey City, NJ, and has a major office in Sarasota, FL. The company prepares over two million tax returns every year for hard working Americans, offering services such as electronic filing, refund-anticipation loans, tax school, and a MasterCard stored-value card. Jackson Hewitt has a passion for its employees and its customers, recognizing that its team members are its single greatest competitive advantage. Being an industry leader requires a consistent focus on quality, innovation, performance, and results. Jackson Hewitt’s employees’ achievements are supported and rewarded and most importantly, make a direct impact on the lives of millions of clients. Jackson Hewitt works hard for the hardest-working Americans and it is their mission to completely change the way customers engage with their personal finances. Jackson Hewitt combines the fun, fast-paced culture of a startup with the scale and reputation of one of the nation’s largest retailers.
H.I.G. Capital is a leading global middle-market private equity investment firm. Specializing in providing capital to small- and medium-sized companies around the world, H.I.G. aligns with visionary management teams and entrepreneurs to build and grow businesses into industry leaders. H.I.G. has the experience and expertise in operations, consulting, technology and financial management to contribute meaningfully to their portfolio companies. Founded in 1993, H.I.G. has acquired over 200 companies and has provided capital to a long list of promising growth-oriented businesses.
Reporting to the CFO, the Senior Vice President, Accounting (“SVP”), will provide overall leadership, direction and oversight to Jackson Hewitt’s accounting function. The SVP of Accounting will be responsible for managing all accounting activities, including financial statement preparation and reporting, accounting policies and procedures as well as the oversight and development of new and existing internal controls. This individual will act as the technical accounting resource for Jackson Hewitt and be responsible for regularly improving processes and increasing the efficiency of the accounting and business operations.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Leading all core Accounting functions for Jackson Hewitt, including General Accounting, Technical Accounting, Reporting, Cash Management, Treasury and Debt Compliance;
- Working closely with the CFO, Senior Vice President of Finance and the Head of Internal Audit to develop and execute Jackson Hewitt’s strategic business plans, analyze the business and suggest ways to improve overall performance;
- Integrating best accounting practices in the areas of Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Financial Reporting and Treasury;
- Preparing and/or overseeing the preparation of Jackson Hewitt’s internal financial statements, monthly financial reporting and end of year audit;
- Partnering with Director of Internal Audit to ensure appropriate controls are in place to protect Company assets;
- Developing critical reporting and divisional P&L practices to enable better insight to Company financial performance;
- Providing Thought Leadership on how Jackson Hewitt can evolve its current practices and communications, both internally and externally;
- Challenging expenditures and championing productivity improvements;
- Monitoring day-to-day business performance, providing feedback and detecting early signs of deviation;
- Coaching, supporting, & challenging management in financial & business performance related issues;
- Managing, mentoring and coaching the accounting staff.
Professional Experience & Qualities:
This role requires at least ten years in roles of progressive responsibility, including several years in managerial positions. Although not required, experience in or familiarity with the Retail Sector is strongly preferred. In order to excel in this position, this individual should possess excellent communication skills and the power of persuasion, acute business acumen, and an unmatched desire to succeed. S/he must have the learning agility, initiative, and energy to both keep up with and contribute to the changing marketplace. This role will require experience working in a fast-paced environment and the ability to adjust and respond to dynamic business conditions.
The ideal candidate should also possess the following qualifications and attributes:
- A deep understanding of core accounting processes and the ability to lead in all areas including Technical Accounting;
- A meticulous attention to detail combined with the drive to deliver the most accurate reporting and forecasting;
- Outstanding quantitative and analytical ability as well as a data-driven approach for solving problems;
- Ability to “connect the dots” and illustrate how data interact and inform analyses;
- Deep expertise in business technical skills, including Excel and PowerPoint, and the ability to learn new business process software applications; experience with Oracle Financial System preferred;
- A track record of developing team members for growth and advancement as well as managing a team to high levels of performance;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, and the demonstrated ability to communicate the results of analysis to critical senior audiences;
- Demonstrated ability to working in a dynamic, fast-paced business environment;
- The professional gravitas to build strong relationships with a broad range of people across all levels of management;
- Prior experience in a top-tier public accounting firm is highly preferred.
A Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting and/or Business Administration or equivalent experience preferred. An MBA and/or CPA is preferred.
Interested candidates should contact Allen Geller at: email@example.com. Please mention that you are a member of EisnerAmper's Friends of the Firm program.