Job #646: Director of Internal Audit - Jersey City, NJ (11-9-17)
- Job Title: Director of Internal Audit
- Location: Jersey City, NJ
- Salary: $175,000 + bonus
Jackson Hewitt is the fastest growing full-service tax preparation financial services company in the United States, with more than 6,500 franchised and company-owned locations, including 3,000 Wal-Mart locations. Backed by H.I.G. Capital, Jackson Hewitt is headquartered in Jersey City, NJ, and has a major office in Sarasota, FL. The company prepares over two million tax returns every year for low- and middle-income customers, offering services such as electronic filing, refund-anticipation loans, tax school, and a MasterCard stored-value card. Jackson Hewitt has a passion for its employees and its customers, recognizing that its team members are its single greatest competitive advantage. Being an industry leader requires a consistent focus on quality, innovation, performance, and results. Jackson Hewitt’s employees’ achievements are supported and rewarded and most importantly, make a direct impact on the lives of millions of clients. Jackson Hewitt works hard for the hardest-working Americans and it is their mission to completely change the way customers engage with their personal finances. Jackson Hewitt combines the fun, fast-paced culture of a startup with the scale and reputation of one of the nation’s largest retailers.
H.I.G. Capital is a leading global middle-market private equity investment firm. Specializing in providing capital to small- and medium-sized companies around the world, H.I.G. aligns with visionary management teams and entrepreneurs to build and grow businesses into industry leaders. H.I.G. has the experience and expertise in operations, consulting, technology and financial management to contribute meaningfully to their portfolio companies. Founded in 1993, H.I.G. has acquired over 200 companies and has provided capital to a long list of promising growth-oriented businesses.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Director of Internal Audit (“Director”) will lead the Internal Audit and Risk Management functions for Jackson Hewitt’s franchise business segment of approximately 4,000 stores nationwide. The Director of Internal Audit will ensure the appropriate policies, controls, and governance processes are established, as well as lead Jackson Hewitt’s effort to instill a “risk mindset” into the DNA of the business. Additionally, s/he will develop and execute the annual Internal Audit Plan, report on the results of all internal audits and track the implementation of any follow-up actions, as well as track and report on the status of any risk mitigation activities.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Define a clear strategic plan and operational focus for the Internal Audit & Risk function, aligning with the Company’s strategic priorities and long-term goals;
- Lead Royalty Assurance and Loss Prevention initiatives to ensure accuracy of franchise reporting for over 4,000 stores nationwide;
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of the Company's key financial controls and risk management and governance processes, identifying existing issues and emerging threats, and providing recommendations to address these issues and threats;
- Report regularly to the Chief Financial Officer on the adequacy and effectiveness of these key processes and controls, highlighting any significant issues and providing potential resolutions;
- Work constructively with relevant business segments and Corporate functions to provide advice for the resolution of key issues highlighted in internal audits, so as to ensure continuous improvement in the Company's control, risk management and governance environment;
- Establish best-in-class processes and utilize existing technology to drive efficiencies into the Company’s audit practices, enhancing the deployment of new technologies, processes, data analytics, and a control self-assessment program across the Company;
- Develop a strategic approach to Risk Management across the Company and work closely with relevant parts of the business to ensure the development of effective risk management plans and capability, particularly in the areas of highest operational risk;
- Ensure the internal audit and risk management work programs are synchronized and mutually reinforcing;
- Lead, coach, hire, and develop the Internal Audit & Risk team into a world-class assurance function that is valued and respected at all levels of the Company;
- Maintain an open and productive relationship with the Company’s external auditor, pursuing co-sourcing opportunities and efficiencies where appropriate.
Professional Experience & Qualities:
This role requires several years of experience in roles of progressive responsibility, including experience in managerial positions. Although not required, experience in or familiarity with the retail sector is strongly preferred. In order to excel in this position, this individual should possess excellent communication skills and the power of persuasion, acute business acumen, and an unmatched desire to succeed. S/he must have the learning agility, initiative, and energy to both keep up with and contribute to the changing marketplace. This role will require experience working in a fast-paced environment and the ability to adjust and respond to dynamic business conditions.
The ideal candidate should also possess the following qualifications and attributes:
- A demonstrated command of technical audit principles, standards, and capabilities with on-the-ground experience of driving improvements in business operations;
- Prior experience with Royalty Assurance in a franchise or retail environment;
- Experience operating effectively internationally, including leading and working with teams across multiple locations;
- • Deep expertise in business technical skills, including Excel and PowerPoint, and the ability to learn new business process software applications; experience with Oracle Financial System preferred.
- Possesses a willingness and desire to be a true business partner; add value and drive impact; and help the organization improve and be better every day;
- Ability to work effectively and cooperatively across all levels of the business, mobilizing key business partners around a clear set of goals;
- A high degree of business acumen, and the ability to flex easily between detailed analysis and high-level discussions around business strategy and commercial risk;
- The foresight to identify critical areas of risk and/or potential points of failure coupled with the ability to act swiftly and appropriately mitigate them;
- An affinity for technology and innovation; capable of identifying opportunities to use new technologies and processes to drive efficiencies;
- Develops a function which is viewed by the business as a source of expertise and support, not purely a compliance operation
A Bachelor’s degree in Finance and/or Accounting is required; an advanced degree in Finance and/or Accounting or CPA is strongly preferred.
Interested candidates should contact Allen Geller at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mention that you are a member of EisnerAmper's Friends of the Firm program.