Job #1839: Payroll and Finance Manager - NY (11/30/2022)
Job TitlePayroll and Finance Manager
Salary$119,000 - $131,000
Reports To: Controller
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust (“Helmsley”) is a global philanthropy driven by a vision of a world where everyone has the resources they need to thrive by increasing access to healthcare, advancing new research and ideas, and improving people’s quality of life no matter where they call home. Helmsley strives to make a meaningful impact in its focus areas, matching its significant financial assets with a rigorous and results-oriented approach. Helmsley is committed to close and productive partnerships with its grantees, as well as with other funders and impact players in government, academia, and the private sector who share its interests and goals. Above all, Helmsley endeavors to be forward-thinking in every aspect of its work and will take risks that others cannot or will not take when the risk/reward trade-off warrants. Since 2008, when Helmsley began its active grantmaking, it has committed more than $3 billion. For more information on Helmsley, please visit www.helmsleytrust.org.
The Manager, Payroll and Finance candidate is a contributor to the Finance team, responsible for providing accounting, financial analysis/reporting support to Helmsley. This position works collaboratively with Finance and Office Operations, teams, and reports directly into the Controller.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Financial Accounting and Reporting
• Work closely with Controller on daily operations, analytical projects and department strategic planning.
• Support the development and administration of accounting procedures and updating the Finance Manual.
• Lead and assist staff in improving effectiveness in processes.
Payroll Accounting, Reporting and Compliance
• Oversee the staff of the processing of payroll, including payroll deductions and tax remittances, is accurate and meets established schedules.
• Ensure proper recording of all payroll, tax, and benefit entries in the general ledger and reconcile accounts.
• Review and recommend changes to current payroll, benefits, and tax procedures as necessary in order to maximize effectiveness and maintain compliance with relevant laws and regulations.
• Generate and review important schedules related to annual audit and 990-PF tax filing
• Address all Retirement Plans matters with Human Resources and Finance
• Maintain a peer-to-peer relationship with the Tax Department to ensure that current tax law is incorporated
• Review T&E expense reports to ensure compliance with Helmsley policy.
• Train T&E reviewers on travel policy and approving expense reports.
• Work with IT to troubleshoot T&E software and systems integration issues.
• Support implementation of Concur IT Roadmap and enhancements to improve end-user experience and back-office capabilities.
· Manage non-direct staff for the execution of various initiatives resulting in high-performance teams.
- Bachelor’s Degree required in accounting or related field.
- CPA required.
- Minimum 5 years in managerial experience.
- Experience within the nonprofit and philanthropic sectors preferred.
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and spreadsheet analysis and enterprise-wide general ledger systems.
- Experience with the systems NetSuite, UKG Pro, Concur, and Fluxx a plus.
- Thrives in a team environment, effective at building and maintaining collaborative relationships, and positively contributes to the organizational culture.
- Strong verbal, written communication and analytical skills.
- Strong attention to detail and a firm commitment to meeting deadlines.
- Achieve trusted-advisor status by displaying accounting and business expertise.
Salary, Health, Well-being, and Living Our Mission:
Helmsley is dedicated to creating stronger, healthier futures for communities in the U.S. and around the world. Our staff are subject matter experts from a range of backgrounds in basic science, global health, and precision medicine, as well as the private sector and public policy.
Helmsley colleagues are intelligent, creative, forward thinking, and strongly committed to working productively with our grantee partners. Each was drawn to Helmsley by the same opportunity: to help build this young organization into a leading global charitable institution that will drive meaningful and measurable positive change in lives throughout the U.S. and around the world for years to come.
Helmsley is committed to offering competitive and equitable compensation commensurate with experience. The targeted starting salary range for this position is $119,000 – $131,000.
Comprehensive benefits currently offered to employees (subject to change) include:
· Employer-paid medical, dental, and vision for employees and their families
· Generous 401(k) employer contribution
· Hybrid work schedule (up to two remote days a week)
· 23+ paid vacation and sick days
· 13+ paid holidays
· End of year office closure
· Summer Fridays
· Tuition reimbursement
· Personal and team professional development opportunities
Interested members should e-mail resume to Rachel Mancini at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mention that you are a member of EisnerAmper's Friends of the Firm program. Make sure to include Job #1839 in the subject line and to copy email@example.com on your email.