Job #1810: Controller - New York (9-8-22)
60 Decibels is a tech-powered impact measurement company that makes it easy to
listen to the people who matter most. We've been in business as an independent
entity since early 2019, when we spun out of the global Impact Investor Acumen.
We believe that the best way to understand social impact is by talking to the people
experiencing that impact. It sounds obvious when you say it, but that is not the
typical practice for many impact investors, corporations and foundations working to
create social change.
We collect social impact data directly from beneficiaries (customers / employees /
suppliers) using our network of 1000+ trained research assistants in 75+ countries.
We do it quickly and without the fuss typically associated with measuring social
impact. Our research assistants speak directly to customers to understand their lived
experience; and our team turns all this data into benchmarked social performance
reports, with accompanying insights, to help our clients demonstrate and improve
By making impact measurement simple, scalable, and comparable, we not only
enable organizations to improve their products and services; we also help transform
what it means to credibly measure impact, ensuring that the voices of those who
matter most are always part of the story. If you're similarly passionate about our
mission and excited about the opportunity to help grow a dynamic business,
we're looking for a Controller to join our team.
About the role: As the Controller for 60 Decibels, you will oversee several
disciplines within the finance function in partnership with the Director of Finance for
the US parent company and its foreign subsidiaries.
Specifically, your responsibilities will include:
Develop and maintain written accounting policies for key accounting and
finance areas, including revenue recognition (ASC 606), intangible assets
and software development.
● Develop, organize and direct the organization's accounting function and
● Manage and direct the multi-entity and multi-currency month-end close
process to ensure accurate and timely completion in alignment with GAAP
● Multi-state tax compliance including franchise tax, sales & use tax and
corporate tax, in partnership with external tax advisors.
● Oversee the AR and Billing functions and ensure timely and effective cash
● Oversee the AP function, including payments to our 900+ global researchers,
always innovating and seeking solutions for best practice.
● Oversee the Payroll function, including multi-state payroll, tax, withholding,
401k, workers comp and other payroll-related compliance
● Oversee tax matters, including development of key tax processes
● Assist with maintenance of employee equity incentive plan, also including
accounting policies and processes
● Contribute to development and maintenance of continuous budgeting and
● Provide technical advice and knowledge to others within finance disciplines.
● Lead the annual audit process and act as the key liaison with our external
● Relationship with banks and other stakeholders ensuring compliance with
banking requests and regulations
● Own the company’s accounting / ERP solution and ensure maximum
automation and efficiencies within the accounting function.
● Ensure compliance with statutory laws and financial regulations
● Process strengthening to mitigate financial risks in the organization.
About You: First and foremost, you bring compassion and dedication to this work
because it matters to you. Further, we are looking for someone hands-on, who has
led day-to-day finance operations in an SME environment.
Other characteristics that will help you succeed in this role and be a great cultural fit:
you have a bias towards action—you get your hands dirty—and you actively tackle
problems in ways that lead to great outcomes. You successfully balance flexibility
and rigor, and embrace taking strategic risks and growing from mistakes. Ultimately,
you are eager to do the work to build something new and (we hope) important to the
Desired skills and experiences / attributes are listed below.
If your experience set differs, but you think you’re the right person for the job, please include that in your
● CPA or 10+ years in accounting management
● Previous experience of leading finance operations in an SME environment.
● Previous experience from a services business or people-intensive operations
● Previous experience managing Financial Statement Preparation and month-end close
● Previous experience with payroll,state and federal tax and compliance
● Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
● Solid knowledge of US GAAP
● Solid knowledge of US state and local tax (SALT) compliance
● Broad knowledge of all facets of finance and accounting operations
including, general ledger accounting, accounts payable/receivable,
purchasing, banking, budgeting, auditing, financial forecasting.
● Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
● Ability to maintain confidential and sensitive information.
● Skilled at organizing work and prioritizing duties
About our team and our culture: we are a fun and hardworking global team that is
full of smart, mission-driven folks who combine an entrepreneurial spirit with a
commitment to make a positive change in the world. We consistently hear from our
clients that the best thing about 60 Decibels is the people. To get a feel for our
slightly nerdy, not-take-ourselves-too-seriously vibe, check out our monthly
newsletter, The Volume.
Deadline: Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be
reviewed on a rolling basis. The deadline to apply is September 20, 2022.
Location: Our preference is to have the Controller based in New York. We are open
to (very) strong candidates from other locations with the relevant skills and
experience. The expectation is that this will be a hybrid role — we work remotely 2-3
days a week and are in the office 2-3 days a week.
Compensation: 60 Decibels offers a competitive compensation and benefits
package including annual bonus and access to the company’s equity incentive plan;
and the opportunity to work in a flexible, fun and supportive environment.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience and dependent on location.
Extra Perks: We have an unlimited leave policy and 12 monthly recharge days, on
the first Friday of each month. We are a globally distributed team and we give team
members opportunities to cross-pollinate and visit our different offices.
Application: To apply please fill out this application form: TO APPLY where you will be asked to
1. Your resume
2. A short video (1-2 minutes) or a written response in which you respond to the
a. Please introduce yourself and describe what excites you about this role.
b. Please describe why your skills, background and experience makes you the perfect candidate for this role.
We’re excited to hear from you