Job #1792: Controller - NYC, NY/Remote (5-18-22)
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged
The fundamental mission of UNICEF is to promote the rights of every child, everywhere, in
everything the organization does — in programs, in advocacy, and in operations. The past two
decades have seen important progress on child rights, yet while much has been achieved, sharp
In most countries, inequality is higher today than a generation ago, including in
middle-income countries where most of the world’s poor children now live. The rapid pace of
urbanization and the growing youth bulge in Africa and parts of Asia will require significant
expansion of the provision of essential services for children. These challenges are compounded by
the scale and complexity of crises triggered by conflict, natural disasters, or epidemics. The global
community faces these challenges when the political and economic environments pose challenges
of their own, testing the world’s commitment to protecting the most vulnerable. In this environment,
the strong and consistent leadership of UNICEF is critical to enable the achievement of results for
UNICEF USA (UUSA) is a private, independent, U.S. nonprofit that rallies the American public to
support the world’s most vulnerable children through the unmatched reach of UNICEF.
Headquartered in New York City, UUSA has some 300 employees distributed
across nine regional offices in the U.S. To fuel UNICEF’s life-saving work across the globe,
UUSA raises nearly $600 million dollars from private sources every year and marshals its supporters
to advocate for over $800 million in annual US government support. UUSA has built abroad -
based movement to advocate for the well-being and protection of children globally. For more
information, visit www.unicefusa.org.
Position: Controller, Accounting/Finance
Location: New York, NY
FLSA Status: Exempt
Salary: NYC's minimum salary for this position is $160,000. This may be adjusted to
reflect the cost of labor of a candidate’s work location, if outside of NYC.
The Accounting/Finance team is seeking a knowledgeable Controller who will have oversight over the
day-to-day accounting operations, the monthly close process, financial statement preparation, analyses,
audits, etc. The Controller will supervise an Accounting Team of six. The position will report to the VP of
Key Responsibilities/Outcomes (include but are not limited to):
• Provides overall leadership of full accounting operations including, but not limited to revenue,
expenses/payables, reporting, analysis, and audits.
• Develops, revises, and maintains finance policies, procedures, internal controls, accounting
standards and procedures to ensure compliance with GAAP.
• Leads process improvements efforts. Demonstrates a continuous improvement mindset by
proactively identifying, recommending, and helping implement solutions.
• Develops and prepares monthly financial packet which includes the financial statements and
• Assists with the preparation of Finance Committee and Board of Directors’ materials.
• Assists with the annual budgeting and planning process.
• Prepares various management reports. Analyzes financial performance and trends across
departments and makes recommendations to management.
• Maintains relationships with financial institutions.
• Plans, organizes, and oversees annual audit and oversees the preparation of the Form 990.
• Actively leads, motivates, develops, and provides support to team members to meet and exceed
established goals and timelines. Provides thorough and timely performance evaluations.
• Develops strong working relationships across the organization to better understand business
needs and to provide accounting support.
• Assists with special projects, as needed.
• Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Accounting, Finance or a related field
• CPA, CMA and/or MBA, or equivalent advance degree/certification
• 10+ years’ experience in accounting, preferably in the nonprofit sector
• Strong understanding of U.S. GAAP
• Strong Leadership, Management, planning, and organizational skills are a must.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills are a must.
• The ability to manage multiple tasks, meet deadlines and work effectively with minimal
supervision is essential.
• Data and Technology savvy: able to evaluate new ways to leverage technology to improve
processes, and to leverage and model data to inform decision making.
• Experience using NetSuite and familiarity with other ancillary accounting tools (e.g., Adaptive
Planning by Workday, Concur, Salesforce, etc.) is a plus
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office, particularly Intermediate level, or higher Excel skills
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written
• Excellent time management skills demonstrating the ability to prioritize and manage multiple
• Ability to work a flexible schedule; may require extended hours during close weeks and during
quarter-ends and yearend.
• Ability to travel domestically, if based remotely
• Must demonstrate UNICEF USA Core Values: Trust, Respect, Accountability, Innovation,
Teamwork, and Service
Must possess current and valid US Work Authorization and be eligible to work for any US
employer without sponsorship
Interested members should e-mail resume to Margarita Buitrago at firstname.lastname@example.org Please mention that you are a member of EisnerAmper's Friends of the Firm program. Make sure to include Job #1792 in the subject line and to copy email@example.com on your email.