Job #1720: Controller -Remote-California (11-17-21)
VC Lab: Controller, Venture Capital Funds
Location: Palo Alto, California, United States
Full-time, Allows Remote
VC Lab (https://govclab.com) is the leading venture capital firm accelerator, created by the Founder Institute. VC Lab is working to launch 1,000 next-generation venture capital firms by 2025, changing the face of venture capital. We are helping to finance the innovations that shape our future.
We are hiring a Controller, Venture Capital Funds to help setup and manage a chart of accounts at multiple venture capital firms. This person will also be responsible for planning, directing and coordinating all accounting operational functions at VC Lab. The ideal candidate will have experience with venture capital accounting, including working with management to design and implement internal controls, preparing quarterly and annual financial reports, and tracking investment markups.
VC Lab provides a fast-paced startup environment, where everyone has the opportunity to help with everything. You will have an opportunity to experience every facet of venture capital. This is a unique opportunity to ramp up your experience in the fields of entrepreneurship, startups and venture capital.
Remote candidates are accepted, and candidates will need to be based in the US, preferably in the Bay Area.Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience.
The Controller, Venture Capital Funds responsibilities include:
- Managing the preparation and distribution of quarterly and annual financial statements for VC Lab and fund clients in accordance with US GAAP
- Coordinating the activities of accounting services providers (i.e., external auditors)
- Assessing current accounting operations, offering recommendations for improvement and implementing new processes
- Developing accounting and internal control systems
- Evaluating the effectiveness of accounting software and supporting database, as needed
- Assisting with and track portfolio company valuations
- Collaborating with the product team to automate fund accounting systems
- Tracking the accounting needs of firm clients
- Reviewing various venture capital fund projections and models
- Overseeing multiple venture funds chart of accounts
- Validating management fee strategies and withdrawals
- Assisting with allocating distributions to limited partners and carried interest
- Supporting general partners with accounting questions
- Managing the budget process for VC Lab
- Overseeing regulatory reporting, frequently including tax planning and compliance
- 6+ years of experience in startup or venture capital finance
- Understanding of the nuances of accounting with startup investing
- Experience working with demanding clients
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Proactive attitude to tackle any opportunity or challenge
- Skills to create logical solutions to complex problems
- Detail-oriented and analytical nature
- Ability to thrive in a fast-growing business
- Experience in a startup environment
If you don't tick every box above, we'd still encourage you to apply. We're building a diverse team whose skills balance and complement one another.
What We Offer:
- Ability to help change the world
- Vibrant work environment of passionate and capable peers
- Opportunities for personal growth and role expansion
- Perks of a fast-growing startup
- Flexible remote work environment
To Apply: Please submit a resume and custom cover letter to Mike Suprovici (email@example.com) that describes why you are uniquely qualified for this position. Make sure to include Job #1720 in the subject line and to copy firstname.lastname@example.org on your email.