Job #1661: Controller - PA (8-4-21)
Position Summary: Leads, directs and manages the accounting and financial functions. Establishes accounting principles, practices and procedures. Maintains all accounting records and develops, analyzes and interprets statistical and accounting information to determine operating costs and results against business plans and compliance with generally accepted accounting principles.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Formulates, recommends and administers accounting and cost accounting related policies to ensure that proper financial controls are in place. Monitors practices to ensure compliance with agreed business plans, operating expenses and costs, budgets and generally accepted accounting principles.
- Oversees accounts receivables, accounts payables, credit & collection, cost accounting for operations, and in conjunction with other assigned functions. Maintains company chart of accounts and keeps books and records on all company transactions. Directs the staffing and training of assigned departments to insure goals are met.
- Works with supply chain, production planning and operations to develop costing of products.
- Participates in planning and budgeting activities. Monitors all department budgets and compares performance against budget. Interprets and analyzes the results of company operations including costs, income, profitability, inventory levels and debt trends for internal and Board meetings.
- Prepares monthly financial statements for internal and Board purposes and provides relevant financial information to designated others in the organization on a timely basis. Prepares special reports as required.
- Manages the company’s cash position within parameters agreed with the President, reviews cash position and requirements and advises senior management. Forecasts short- and long-range cash requirements and obligations on a weekly cash report. Recommends cash disbursements to the President and completes approved distributions.
- Develops systems and procedures for the accounting department in conjunction with the Accounting Supervisor and ensures that these provide necessary information required by the President, Operations, Sales & Marketing and Manufacturing and other support services.
- Assists with asset management activities and provides financial controls including regular audits. Manages yearly audit for company preparing necessary work papers.
- Monitor’s credit and collection applications in conjunction with Accounting Supervisor. Approves terms up to a pre-determined dollar amount and makes recommendations to management above that limit.
- Identifies areas where the company can benefit from cost savings and increase profits.
- Participates in the oversight yearly of inventory at all locations. Oversees the yearly inventory in conjunction with Inventory Planning. Participates in the oversight yearly of inventory at all locations
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with all levels of internal and external clients. Creates a culture of “customer first” and translates this culture into daily workflow and priorities.
- As directed by the President, interacts with human resources regarding insurance agencies, accountants and banks in relation to financial activities of the company.
- Assists in determining depreciation rates to apply to capitalized items and implements approved policy.
- Participates in federal and state tax planning and review. Reviews specific transactions for tax implications. Responsible for all corporate taxes. Supervises the preparation of tax information required by the company and outside CPA firm.
- Regularly employs continuous improvement techniques and practices in all activities.
- Performs duties in compliance with Federal, state and local laws and regulations and adheres to all Penn Emblem policies and safety procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Accounting policies that are formulated and in place protecting the financial security of the company.
- Required accounting records and books are always maintained and up to date.
- Thorough timely analysis is conducted on financial results of operations and comprehensive reports provided to management showing results against budget.
- Monthly and year end closing are completed on schedule.
- Budget variance reports are provided to all designated managers on a monthly basis.
- All assigned departments are fully staffed and trained.
- A cooperative working environment between assigned departments and internal customers is maintained. Financial services are provided in a timely, effective manner.
- Cash is available as needed to meet company goals. Distributions are timely.
- Satisfactory relations with primary vendors are maintained and bills are paid on a timely basis.
- Pro-active with Senior Management /Board of Directors for business and financial analysis and problem solving.
- Daily interaction with President regarding all financial needs.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in accounting. Master’s degree preferred.
Experience: Minimum 10 years of broad, well-rounded finance and accounting experience with 5 years in a supervisory role with significant financial responsibility. Some experience with public accounting, business planning in a manufacturing environment preferred. Demonstrated effective interpersonal, presentation and facilitation skills.
Company Related Knowledge: 3+ years working for a manufacturing company preferably in the identification products or related field. Knowledge of and or use of the INFOR/SYTELINE system for manufacturers’ is preferrable, not essential.
Technical Training Certifications Needed: CPA or equivalent training and experience.
Functional Knowledge: Complete understanding of all aspects of finance and accounting principles including P&L, balance sheet, tax, audit, debt financing, inventory management and business planning. Ability to build positive executive relationships, proactively develop team relationships and enhance customer satisfaction.
- Self-starter, self-motivated, results-oriented, positive attitude, and confident.
- Requires previous responsibilities of managing personal
- Strong analytical, problem solving and proven decision-making skills. Detail oriented, logical and methodical approach to problem solving.
- Creative, critical thinking and good judgment to quickly determine and prioritize key issues.
- Ability to manage concurrent assignments in an effective, efficient and organized manner. Flexible and possesses the ability to adapt to a changing environment and a flexible schedule.
- Ability to work independently within a team environment with an emphasis on collaboration and be a strong team player.
- Highly ethical.
- Open to feedback and learning. Willing to coach and teach others.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, facilitation and negotiation skills, and strong interpersonal/client servicing skills. Must have the ability to persuade and influence others. Interface and maintain effective relationships with all departments and employees in a team oriented environment.
- Must be extremely articulate with strong presentation skills.
- Must possess advanced computer skills and be proficient in all Microsoft Office applications (i.e., Excel, Word and PowerPoint) INFOR/SYTELINE preferred not essential.
- Visibility requires maintaining a professional appearance and providing a positive company image to employees and visitors.
- Work requires minimal travel. This requires the possession of a valid states driver’s license upon employment. Work requires willingness to work a flexible schedule and occasional overnight travel.
- Possesses the ability to anticipate needs/next steps and proceeds accordingly.
Interested candidates should e-mail resume and cover letter to Karen Weber at email@example.com. Please mention that you are a member of EisnerAmper's Friends of the Firm program. Make sure to include Job #1661 in the subject line and to copy firstname.lastname@example.org on your email.