Job #1583: Controller - New York, NY (3-19-21)
LocationNew York, NY
SalaryCommensurate with experience
St. Bernard’s School, an independent day school for boys in grades K to 9, seeks an experienced professional to fill the position of Controller. Reporting to the Business Manager, the Controller manages the daily operation of the school’s Business Office. The incumbent is responsible for the executing transactions, producing timely, accurate financial records, and preparing periodic reconciliations and analysis to support the financial decisions and operations of the school. The Controller maintains the general ledger, monitors cash flow, assists in developing the annual budget, and oversees all aspects of the annual audit. The individual in this role is the Business Office’s liaison with internal IT staff and software vendors so he or she is comfortable working with technology and troubleshooting related problems when they arise. The Controller will ensure that the school has the financial systems in place to support the school’s operations.
Specific duties will include but not be limited to:
- Overseeing all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate accounting standards.
- Liaising with IT staff and software vendor (currently Blackbaud FE) to ensure systems are properly maintained and updated to support finance functions; will take the lead in the upcoming upgrade / conversion of the school’s financial software system.
- Developing and implementing processes to ensure timely and accurate closings of the general ledger (monthly, quarterly, annually).
- Conducting monthly review and reconciliation of general ledger accounts, including detailed analyses of balance sheet, revenue, and expense accounts to ensure accurate and timely reporting. Prepare journal entries as necessary.
- Developing, generating, and distributing monthly financial and statistical reports.
- Developing, maintaining, and documenting processes for finance and accounting.
- Collaborating with Development Office staff to ensure proper recording of gifts.
- Leading and coordinating the annual financial statement audit; prepare related work papers, analysis, reconciliation schedules to ensure timely completion.
- Assisting in the preparation of annual financial statements and Forms 990 and 990T; maintaining a thorough understanding of the financial statements issued by the audit firm.
- Monitoring endowment / investment balances
- Developing and maintaining schedules cash flow planning.
- Maintaining historical financial and statistical data, to support the Business Manager and Head of School in developing the annual operating budget and related long-term projections.
- Tracking financial results and statistical data and prepares variance analyses.
- Identifying opportunities for revenue enhancements and expense reductions.
- Consulting with school staff and administrators regarding proposed programs and events; prepare cost benefit analysis as needed.
- Interacting with student families to resolve payment issues.
- Preparing and providing timely reports and reconciliations for monitoring receivables.
- Utilizing system data to provide support to the Financial Aid Committee
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting
- 3 years experience as a Controller (or similar role) in a nonprofit setting (school or college highly desirable)
- 3 years public accounting audit experience, including financial statement preparation
- Willingness to adapt and implement new/efficient work processes and applications
- Motivated Self-starter requiring little supervision
- Ability to work on multiple projects successfully and meet all assigned deadlines
- Must focus on both the details and big picture
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- High degree of computer literacy
- Knowledge of Blackbaud Financial Edge or similar software
- Proficiency in MS Office; knowledge of Google Docs and ADP payroll applications
Compensation includes competitive salary as well as generous retirement, healthcare, and time off.
Interested Friends of the Firm members should email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mention that you are a member of EisnerAmper's Friends of the Firm program. Make sure to include Job #1583 in the subject line and to copy email@example.com on your email.