Job #1548: Business Development Professional - New York, NY (2-8-21)
Job TitleBusiness Development Professional
SalaryCommensurate with experience
About Seward & Kissel
Seward & Kissel LLP, founded in 1890, is a leading US law firm with an international reputation for excellence.
With approximately 170 attorneys across offices in New York City and Washington DC, the firm’s practice primarily
focuses on corporate and litigation work for clients seeking legal expertise in the financial services, corporate finance,
and capital markets areas. The firm is particularly well known for its representation of major commercial banks,
investment banking firms, investment advisers, registered funds (mutual funds, ETF’s), private investment funds
(hedge, private credit, private equity, growth equity, venture capital, private equity real estate), broker-dealers,
institutional investors, and maritime & transportation companies.
The firm’s award-winning attorneys are highly regarded in their respective practice areas and many have been with
the firm for most, if not all, of their legal careers. The firm’s focus and expertise, combined with its stability, has
enabled it to create a work culture that is dedicated to professional excellence and sound judgement, and that is
committed to providing its clients with effective, high quality, hands-on legal service.
For more than 130 years, Seward & Kissel has provided superior service to its clients and it is consistently
acknowledged for excellence by industry publications, such as Chambers USA, Best Lawyers in America, and Super
Lawyers. The firm recently received top rankings for 14 attorneys and four practice areas in the 2019 edition of
Chambers USA. In addition, the firm received recognition for 29 attorneys by Best Lawyers in New York for 2020, as
well as 11 attorneys for Best Lawyers in America.
The Business Development Professional will be responsible for marketing and generating new business
opportunities for the firm across all practice groups.
- Support Practice Groups Leaders (PGL) and Attorneys with business development and marketing initiatives.
- Develop a strong pipeline of potential new clients that can be serviced by various Practice Groups within the
firm which may include, but not be limited to: Public and Private Companies, Commercial Banks, Investment
Banks, Institutional Investors, Family Offices, Private Funds, Capital Markets, Corporate Finance, Corporate
Restructuring & Bankruptcy, Real Estate, and/or Industry Referral Partners that service these practice areas.
- Identify and introduce new business opportunities to Partners within relevant Practice Group(s).
- Pro-actively develop new business through lead generation, qualification, proposal development and
managing the sales process with Partner inclusion to successful closure.
- Help build the firm’s brand and increase brand awareness to generate quality leads.
- Participation at industry events to expand referral network and/or pipeline of opportunities.
- Further develop and manage your intermediary and industry referral partner network as current and future
- Maintain knowledge of industry trends and participate in the Thought Leadership initiatives in conjunction
with the Business Development team and Partners by introducing opportunities to the firm which may
include, but not be limited to: Co-Sponsorship of Research Papers/Events/Conferences, Joint Ventures with
Industry Referral Partners, Speaking Opportunities for Partners, etc.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent in Finance, Economics, Marketing or a related field
- 7+ years of experience in sales, business development, strategy consulting/investment bank and/or investor
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and CRM
- Experienced in proposal and RFP writing
Job Skills & Knowledge:
- A deep understanding and an extensive network of referral sources that may include, but not be limited to:
Public and Private Companies, Commercial Banks, Investment Banks, Institutional Investors, Family
Offices, Private Funds, Capital Markets, Corporate Finance, Corporate Restructuring & Bankruptcy, Real
Estate, and/or Industry Referral Partners that service the firm’s practice areas.
- Strong and well-developed analytic, problem-solving and quantitative skills, with exceptional attention to detail
- Strong communication, relationship building and team skills
- Results-orientation with an ability to take initiative, execute and complete deliverables in a timely manner in a fast moving, team environment
- Great level of comfort preparing and leading client presentations
- You are self-motivated, focused and have integrity
- Flexible to eventually travel throughout the US and potentially international, as needed
The above summary represents basic qualifications for the Business Development Professional position. To be
considered for this position you must at least meet the basic qualifications.
Seward & Kissel is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Seward & Kissel is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Seward & Kissel LLP does not discriminate on the basis
of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental
disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is
decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
Note: The Preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed
by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain and/or be interpreted as a comprehensive
inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Interested Friends of the Firm members should e-mail resume and cover letter to Frank Napolitani at HRRecruiting@sewkis.com. Please mention that you are a member of EisnerAmper's Friends of the Firm program. Make sure to include Job #1548 in the subject line and to copy email@example.com on your email.