Job #1527: CFO - NY (1-19-21)
SalaryCommensurate with experience
Position Description - Chief Financial Officer for Prominent Family Office, New York, NY
Harvest CFO is seeking to provide a highly skilled Chief Financial Officer (CFO) for a US-based single-family office that utilizes its flexible mandate and permanent capital base to take advantage of both public and private investment opportunities with a patient, value-driven mindset. This firm manages portfolios of public equity investments with a focus on quality, value, and long-term value creation; partners with high quality operators to build portfolios of income-generating real estate investments; and makes investments in small businesses and provides operational expertise to help them grow. Further, the firm actively seeks partners across industries looking for capital to build new platforms. The family office also has two philanthropic foundations that promote the use of technology, education and entrepreneurship to improve lives and economic outcomes and support entrepreneurship and innovation programs at top education institutions. This family takes the long view and is biased towards the growth of both financial capital and human capability.
The CFO has primary day-to-day “hands on” responsibility for planning, implementing, managing and controlling all financial and operational aspects of the firm. This includes reporting, tax strategy, and compliance for the holding company, its investment portfolio and the foundations as well as direct responsibility for accounting, finance, forecasting and treasury management. The CFO role will manage the firm’s substantial tax compliance process and seek tax planning opportunities to increase after-tax cash flow. The CFO will assist with investment decision analysis with respect to deal structure, legal and tax aspects. The CFO will manage and negotiate benefit plans and insurances and third-party service providers agreements. The CFO is expected to play a key leadership role as to financial management systems and process improvements and maintain strong systems and controls to safeguard corporate assets and ensure corporate policies are being followed. The CFO is also responsible for managing ongoing banking relationships.
The CFO is a key leadership role within the family office working as a collaborative partner with family member leadership furthering the goals of the family office and the foundations. He/she will have to embrace change and adapt in a dynamic environment, enjoy problem solving and being a change manager/leader with management with a mindset of continuous improvement. The CFO is expected to enhance the firm’s culture internally as well with key third parties.
This role provides a competitive compensation and benefits package.
- Direct experience as a “hands on” financial leader in a closely held multi entity business environment including private equity backed companies or family office.
- Proficient with federal, state and local income tax compliance and tax planning for business entities, real estate partnerships, foundations and individuals.
- Proficient as to GAAP and tax basis accounting and has “owned” the integrity of the balance sheet and P&L.
- Experience assisting in financial and economic due diligence of prospective investment decisions.
- Experience with negotiating and structuring investment deals, including working with attorneys, bankers, accountants, etc.
- Experience optimizing risk management strategies, including asset protection, insurance, and investment oversight.
- Experience identifying areas for cost efficiency and effectiveness related to third party vendors.
- Collaborative business partner with management team.
- Operational, continuous improvement orientation and experience
- Reports to family member founders.
- Responsible for HR, IT, legal and administration.
- CPA license required. MBA is preferred but not required. Big 4 or large public accounting firm experience a plus.
Primary Ongoing Functions and Skillsets
- Leads the development and implementation of goals, policies, priorities, financial strategy, linked metrics and procedures in regard to finance, accounting and tax.
- Establishes sound internal financial management control systems and develops procedures to continuously improve internal processes and control systems.
- Develops and manages a high performing accounting and finance function within appropriate budget constraints for a business of this nature.
- Oversees and ensures timely and accurate processing of transactions and accounting data and ensures legal and regulatory compliance.
- Leads preparation of ongoing required financial statements and operating reports ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Reviews financial statements and operating reports with all parties of interest.
- Work with the investment committee to analyze investment opportunities and monitor investment performance.
- Owns the preparation state/federal income tax returns, quarterly estimates, and tax planning for the family office and related entities. Manages tax compliance and return preparation process with CPA firm and collaborates with tax advisors to initiate and optimize appropriate strategies to improve after tax cash flow.
- Reviews and reconciles investments, partnership interests, and intercompany transactions on a monthly/quarterly basis.
- Drives overall risk management and insurance functions and takes initiative for continued improvements in controls and processes.
- Demonstrates ability to prioritize and manage multiple assignments and projects from multiple stakeholders to meet deadlines with efficiency and accuracy.
- Initiates and optimizes appropriate strategies to enhance cash flow and working capital positions.
- Assesses organizational performance against budgets with management team.
- Manages banking relationships including any bank reporting requirements.
Quality Management and Improvement
- Focuses on continuous improvement in accuracy and timeliness of ongoing management financial and operational reporting.
- Establishes credibility throughout the organization as an effective developer of solutions to business challenges.
- Establishes solid working relationships with management and key third parties.
IT and Technology
- Displays high proficiency with financial and operational management systems and can leverage IT to gain efficiencies across the company.
- Exhibits high proficiency with Excel and all MS Office suite applications.
Key Personal Attributes:
- Exceptional communicator. A proactive and passionate advocate for the business.
- Sense of urgency as appropriate. “All Hands-on Deck” leadership style.
- Creates a sense of team spirit. Inspires, influences and helps produce an exceptional, positive work environment.
- Successful team builder, developer, and coach.
- Intellectual honesty and professional humility.
- Embodies and upholds organizational core values. Treats people with respect, works with integrity and ethically and follows through on commitments.
- Displays innovative thinking and creativity. Meets challenges with resourcefulness and tenacity.
Interested Friends of the Firm members should e-mail resume to Don Hillier at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mention that you are a member of EisnerAmper's Friends of the Firm program. Make sure to include Job #1527 in the subject line and to copy email@example.com on your email.