Job #1517: Assistant Controller - Ridgewood, New York (1-10-21)
Job TitleAssistant Controller
SalaryCompetitive Remuneration with Benefits and Bonus
Privately held Retail and Wholesale NYC based Company seeks a self-motivated Assistant Controller to help lead our accounting and tax functions. Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Assistant Controller will be responsible for developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial reporting in accordance with GAAP.
This position involves tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including establishing and measuring the effectiveness of internal controls over financial reporting, analytics to support cost reduction/avoidance, cost accounting, sales tax reporting, general ledger preparation, year-end audit preparation and the support of budget and forecast activities. This individual needs to be extremely detail-oriented, collaborative and process-driven in order to help us lead the way to a more
organized and efficient flow.
Key responsibilities in this high-profile role include:
- Full GL management, including the oversight of accurate and timely posting of all transactions, including review of monthly journal entries
- Ensure accounting and finance activities are compliant with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and internal policies and procedures
- Consistently analyze financial data and assistant in preparing and presenting monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements in an accurate and timely manner
- Management of full month-end, quarterly and year-end close processes
- Oversee the day-to-day accounting operations
- Assist in producing timely accounting reports, including full consolidating financial statement packages, analyses and balance sheet reconciliations
- Key player in driving financial & systems process improvement initiatives
- Maintain internal controls and safeguards for cash, receipt of revenue, cost, budget and actual expenditures
- Be heavily involved in the day to day management of cash activities
- Oversee Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Inventory and Fixed Assets
- Supervise and review capex budget and forecast with the Facilities department
- Prepare/maintain and review monthly account reconciliations and investigate/resolve reconciling items
- Assist in overall reporting of actual results
- Identify and provide detailed and thorough explanations for variances between actual results and forecasts/budgets
- Prepare and/or review all intercompany and eliminating transactions between subsidiaries.
- Identify opportunities to improve on financial processes
- Oversee the design and evaluation of the operating effectiveness of the Company’s internal controls over financial reporting to ensure conformance and compliance with U.S. GAAP.
- Lead and manage the year-end audit with external auditors
- Manage and supervise an accounting team of 3 individuals
- Effectively handle new assignments and projects outside scope of core responsibilities
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting required
- 5+ years progressive financial experience; managerial experience
- Solid understanding of US GAAP
- Effective communication skills, both verbal and written
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite with advanced Excel skills
- Strong accounting, problem solving, analytical and decision making skills.
- Strong management and leadership skills
- Ability to multi-task and adapt to changing priorities
- Excellent time management, organizational skills and high attention to detail
- Works under limited supervision, deadlines and pressure
- A motivated, dynamic and self-driven individual who is confident and professional in approach with a positive ‘can-do’ attitude
- Experience with ERP (NetSuite preferred)
- Experience in retail grocery industry highly preferred
- Knowledge of Real Estate accounting a plus
- CPA licensed a plus
Interested Friends of the Firm members should e-mail resume to Daphne Balducci at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mention that you are a member of EisnerAmper's Friends of the Firm program. Make sure to include Job #1517 in the subject line and to copy email@example.com on your email.