Job #1499:Controller, Diversified, Real Estate Family Office - Hudson Valley, NY (11-23-20)
LocationHudson Valley, NY
SalaryCommensurate with experience
The client is a 60+ year old diversified real estate company which develops,
owns and operates 1.3M sq feet of self-storage, retail and office space
throughout the Hudson Valley. In addition to real estate, the network of
affiliated companies includes residential communities and sports and athletic
Oversee and coordinate all financial management and accounting aspects of
company operations. The Controller is responsible for developing,
implementing, and ensuring compliance with financial procedures,
safeguards, and policies for a diversified portfolio of real estate investments
and operating businesses. The Controller plays a key role in the business
analysis, planning, reporting, and accounting to ensure the delivery of
accurate, reliable, and meaningful information upon which ownership can
make decisions to operate the business.
The Controller will report to the firm’s principals.
• Work with the principals of the firm and other executives on strategic planning for the entities.
• Work with the Vice President of Operations to ensure smooth daily operation.
• Additional controller duties as necessary.
• Manage all accounting operations including Billing, A/R, A/P, GL and Counsel, Cost Accounting, Inventory Accounting and Revenue Recognition and verify accuracy of work.
• Coordinate and direct the preparation of the budget, proformas and financial forecasts, report variances and trends.
• Prepare budgets based on a revenue projections and offers recommendations for spending.
• Prepare and publish timely monthly and quarterly financial statements.
• Coordinate the preparation of regulatory reporting.
• Work with third party CPA to ensure all tax returns are filed correctly and in a way that implement strategies that create taxable advantages according to newly passed legislation.
• Create, upgrade and streamline reporting processes.
• Research technical accounting issues for compliance.
• Support month-end and year-end close process.
• Ensure quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting.
• Manage and comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings.
• Manage and monitor cash flow and banking needs.
• Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls.
Background, Skills & Qualifications:
• BS in Accounting, Business or Finance is required.
• CPA or CMA preferred.
• Advanced degree in Accounting a plus.
• 5+ years of overall combined accounting and finance experience, including experience in a Controller role.
• Experience in real estate, construction and/or development.
• Experience with all facets of real estate tax credits, grants and incentives.
• Thorough knowledge of accounting principles and procedures.
• Experience with creating financial statements and preparation of tax returns.
• Experience with general ledger functions and the month-end/year end close process.
• Excellent accounting software user and administration skills.
• Proficient in Excel/Microsoft office/Sage 100.
• Proficient in F9 a plus.
• Must demonstrate a high degree of ownership, willingness to be handson and ensure clear, concise communication to all members of the company.
• High level of integrity and dependability with a strong sense of urgency and delivering results.
• Self-reliant; good problem solver; results oriented.
• Energetic, flexible, collaborative and proactive; a team leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical finance and administrative initiatives.
Interested Friends of the Firm members should e-mail resume to Rebecca Wilson at email@example.com. Please mention that you are a member of EisnerAmper's Friends of the Firm program. Make sure to include Job #1499 in the subject line and to copy firstname.lastname@example.org on your email.