Job #1479: Finance Director - Washington DC (10-19-20)
Job TitleFinance Director
SalaryCommensurate with experience
The International Center for Not-for-Profit Law (ICNL) works to advance civil society, philanthropy, and human rights around the world. For the past 25 years we’ve partnered with foundations, governments, and civic activists in over 100 countries. ICNL is seeking a Finance Director to support our mission by leading the strategy and day-to-day operations of our finance department, including the development and maintenance of ICNL’s $10 million operating budget. The position is full-time and based in our Washington, DC office. The Finance Director reports to ICNL’s President and CEO.
Among other responsibilities, the Finance Director:
• Oversees management of the accounting and financial functions, including financial management of the organization’s global programs, financial systems, finance staff, controls, and procedures.
• Directs the development and establishment of accounting policies and procedures and ensures compliance with generally accepted accounting principles, US federal and state regulatory requirements, and donor and audit
• Oversees the development and monitoring of ICNL’s annual budget and longterm forecasts.
• Oversees preparation of cost proposals to donors.
• Is responsible for cash management, including bank relations, forecasting, and managing cash flow requirements, and overseeing investment management.
• Coordinates and implements an appropriate plan for control of fiscal
operations and safeguards organization assets through internal control and auditing.
• Ensures accurate preparation and issuance of internal and external financial reports, including review and assessment of current accounting and project reporting systems.
• Is responsible for financial compliance reporting, including the federal annual tax return, state annual tax returns and the federal indirect rate reporting and negotiations.
• Oversees corporate benefits administration and reporting, including employee benefits, retirement plans, corporate insurance and related activities.
• Oversees organizational procurement and payroll and ensures best practices and efficiency as they relate to purchasing and payroll.
• Hires, trains, motivates, and manages finance staff; oversees staff development, and works collaboratively with the finance team on achieving excellent relationships with other teams and field offices.
• Oversees management of the organizational grants and contracts functions and serves as a resource for information on compliance issues as they relate to USAID, OMB circulars, federal guidelines, and other bilateral and private
• Serves as primary contact with outside auditors and coordinates all independent audits as well as federal and donor specific audits.
• Advises the Audit Committee of ICNL’s Board of Directors, presents on ICNL’s fiscal health to the Board and Board committees, and supports their work in finance related matters.
This position requires excellent management, problem-solving, and communication
skills; ability to work effectively with an international team; flexibility, initiative, and
creativity; and adherence to organizational policies and procedures.
Specific requirements include:
• Bachelors’ degree required. A CPA designation is preferred.
• Minimum of 10 years’ experience in a senior financial management position,
including at least 3 years of senior experience in a non-profit organization.
• Experience in complex accounting and finance systems, including financial
reporting and budgeting.
• Knowledge of GAAP, OMB regulations relating to federal awards, and USAID
and State Department regulations. Knowledge of other bilateral and private
donor requirements is an advantage.
• Demonstrated ability to manage awards, subawards, and contracts.
• Demonstrated ability to manage external audits and tax filings.
• Advanced proficiency with accounting software, preferably ABILA MIP.
• Knowledge of Working Adaptive Planning budgeting software is an advantage.
• Interest and ability to travel to countries where ICNL has programs.
• Legal authorization to work in the United States.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until November 15, 2020. Only finalists will be contacted. No phone calls or emails to ICNL staff, please. ICNL is an equal opportunity employer.Please send a cover letter and a CV to Nilda Bullain at email@example.com. Please mention that you are a member of EisnerAmper's Friends of the Firm program. Make sure to include Job #1479 in the subject line along with “Finance Director.” and to copy firstname.lastname@example.org on your email.