Job #1460: Chief Financial Officer/Chief Operating Officer - Greenbrae, CA (9-10-20)
Job TitleChief Financial Officer
Darlington Partners is seeking an experienced back office professional as the fund prepares to spin-out and become independent. Darlington manages $1.2 billion and has an outstanding 18-year track record. Darlington was incubated within Fairview Capital and has relied on Fairview’s back office to date. This is an opportunity for an entrepreneurial leader to build from scratch a first-class back office and manage all non-investment activities for the firm.
ABOUT DARLINGTON PARTNERS:
Darlington is an investment partnership that employs a fundamental, long-term investment strategy. The fund owns a concentrated portfolio of 10-12 investments primarily consisting of US publicly-traded equities, and also including private equity investments, international securities, distressed debt, special situations, and short positions. Investment decisions are informed by comprehensive, original research and a 3-5 year time horizon. Portfolio companies typically operate in stable industries and generate recurring revenue and significant free cash flow.
Darlington’s limited partners include a select group of university endowments, charitable foundations, family offices, and HNW individuals. Darlington’s three principals are alumni of the Stanford Graduate School of Business and have experience at major investment banks and respected Bay Area investment firms. Darlington is located 10 miles north of San Francisco in Marin County, CA.
- Create new back office
- Register new investment advisor with SEC
- Establish best practices and written policies for accounting, finance, operations
- Create compliance program and related policies & procedures
- Setup payroll, benefits, IT, phones, bank accounts, insurance, etc.
- Manage all non-investment aspects of the business on an ongoing basis
- Management company budget, accounting, tax returns
- Fund accounting, books & records, portfolio valuations, performance reporting, financial statements, audits
- Maintain “shadow books” and verify administrator’s monthly NAV calculations
- Trade operations (trade capture and allocation, trade break resolution, etc.)
- Treasury and cash management
- Reconciliations with PB, administrator, internal systems
- Manage service provider relationships
- Manage IT operations and outsourced IT provider
- Ensure SEC and state filings are complete and timely (Form ADV, 13-F, etc.)
- Negotiate ISDAs
- Office management
- Oversee HR including review process for junior professionals
- Identify and implement new CRM software
- Hold the CCO title
- Monitor and review compliance program to ensure compliance with policies & procedures and all federal and state regulations
- Develop and maintain cyber security program
- Investor relations
- Help create and maintain marketing materials
- Help respond to investor questions and information requests
QUALIFICATIONS AND DESIRED ATTRIBUTES:
- 10 years of financial industry experience, including 5 years of experience in hedge fund accounting/operations or public accounting
- Prior CFO or COO experience preferred
- CPA, MBA, or JD preferred
- The highest level of ethical and professional standards
- An entrepreneurial individual that is motivated by the opportunity to make a meaningful impact and relishes taking on a variety of roles
- Team player with humility and willingness to do whatever is necessary to ensure the organization’s success
- Detail-oriented, organized, efficient
Interested candidates should e-mail resume to email@example.com. Please mention that you are a member of EisnerAmper's Friends of the Firm program. Make sure to include Job #1460 in the subject line and to copy firstname.lastname@example.org on your email.