Job #1381: Accountant, Investment Accounting - New York, NY (3-31-20)
Job TitleAccountant, Investment Accounting
The Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust (“Helmsley”) aspires to improve lives by supporting exceptional efforts in the U.S. and around the world in health and select place-based initiatives. Since beginning its active grantmaking in 2008, Helmsley has committed more than $2.5 billion for a wide range of charitable purposes.
For more information, please visit www.helmsleytrust.org.
The Accountant, Investment Accounting is an integral part of the Finance team and assists in accounting for the investments of Helmsley’s endowment of approximately $6 billion. The Accountant, Investment Accounting has a dual reporting relationship to the Manager, Investment Accounting and Manager, Tax. This role requires a partnership philosophy with Helmsley’s internal and external parties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure that Helmsley’s financial controls and investment accounting policies and procedures are maintained, and enhanced where necessary and appropriate
- Ensure accurate and timely processing and accounting of investment transactions, including:
- Settlement of trades
- Monitoring movement of securities
- Cash and position reconciliations, accruals, etc.,
- Execution of capital calls, receipt of distributions, and other capital activities
- Monthly/quarterly management fee analysis and payment
- Reconciliation of unfunded commitments
- Preparation of accounting and tax journal entries
- Other shadow accounting activities as appropriate
- Preparation of annual financial audit and tax return workpapers
- Maintain high quality relationships with all counterparties
- Collaborate extensively internally (with Investment Office, Controller Function, General Counsel’s office, etc.) and externally (with Master Custodial Bank, investment managers, and other advisors and administrators) to ensure smooth operations and timely resolution of issues
- Minimum 3 years of accounting experience at an investment firm or endowment
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related experience
- CPA preferred
- Flexibility and adaptability commensurate with working in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, corporate enterprise wide general ledger systems, and MCB systems, and ability to adapt to new systems
- Prior experience with investment accounting and master custodial banks
- Experience working with enterprise accounting software and other office systems and ability to adapt to new systems
- Strong planning, organization, and time management skills, and ability to meet deadlines
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality of financial information
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to convey relevant financial information in a clear, concise manner to a non-technical audience.
- Must thrive in the team-setting but work well independently and self-sufficiently
- Sense of humor, an up-beat attitude under pressure
Interested candidates should e-mail resume to Rachel Mancini at firstname.lastname@example.org Please mention that you are a member of EisnerAmper's Friends of the Firm program. Make sure to include Job #1381 in the subject line and to copy email@example.com on your email.