Job #1375: Controller - Rockleigh, NJ (3-12-20)
The Controller is responsible for the maintenance and accuracy of The Company’s financial records and integrity of the accounting transactions, including revenue recognition, cost of sales, inventory valuation, operating expenses, financial income/expense, balance sheet accounts, accounts payable, and accounts receivable. This role is also responsible for accurately reporting quarterly financial results to the Parent company for inclusion in the world wide consolidated financial statements and will lead the preparation of the annual US GAAP consolidated financial statements. The Controller oversees the Company’s SOX control environment, assuring that controls and key accounting processes operate efficiently, effectively and in accordance with best practices The controller is also the day to day contact for the internal and external auditors.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Oversee the maintenance of the company’s general ledger. Assure that all transactions are properly recorded in accordance with US GAAP, accounts are reconciled, documented, and approved with a focus on the integrity of the balance sheet.
- Assure that J-Sox controls supporting the integrity of the general ledger are in place and meet tests of design and effectiveness.
- Oversee the activities of the corporate accounting department to ensure that all general ledger accounts are reconciled accurately, and reconciliations are completed timely. Assure that reconciliation work papers are reviewed and approved.
- Manage the accounting for cost of sales and inventory accounting. This includes the monthly calculation of the lower of cost or market, slow moving, and obsolesce reserves. Develop enhancements to the valuation process including mechanizing the evaluation through SAP.
- Assure that the company’s long-term tangible, intangible and leased assets are correctly accounted for and maintained in the company’s Fixed Asset/Leasing systems.
- Oversee the accounting of the company’s rebate and royalty obligations and assure that all liabilities are fairly stated in accordance with US GAAP.
- Responsible for assuring that the company’s revenue recognition policies are in accordance with US GAAP and are consistently applied.
- Oversee the company’s quarterly and annual financial audits and J-Sox internal audits, as well as any tax audits that may arise.
- Review FASB changes to US GAAP and assure that the company is in compliance with the current standards.
Reporting and Consolidations
- Coordinate with the accounting staff the accurate and timely book closings on a monthly, quarterly and year end basis in accordance with Takasago’s world-wide closing schedule.
- Oversee the preparation of the company’s quarterly and year-end financial reporting packages for inclusion in the Parent company’s consolidated financial results. Review upon completion for ultimate accuracy and enter finished product into the Parent’s consolidation software (DIVA).
- Oversee the preparation of the Americas’ consolidated financial statements, complete with elimination entries on a semiannual basis. Prepare annual consolidated unaudited financial statement, complete with footnotes.
Processes and Controls
- Manage the documentation and testing of all financial processes in support of J-Sox (Sarbanes-Oxley). Ensure that remediation plans are developed to address control weaknesses and verify the integrity of all systems.
- Assure that all J-Sox controls supporting the integrity of the financial reporting process are in place, functioning and meet tests of design and effectiveness.
- Support the development of SAP requirements for finance and other key processes. Ensure mechanized business controls in SAP are effectively leveraged.
- Assist the Company’s external consultant in managing the company’s tax compliance, by providing information necessary to prepare the U.S. federal, state & local income tax returns along with quarterly tax provisions.
- Oversee the preparation of TAKUS’s real and personal property tax returns with the external consultant.
- Manage state sales and use tax compliance as well as unclaimed property function for the states where this is required.
- Oversee the Accounting Manager in the management of the accounts payable function in accordance with best practices in order to maximize cash flow, reduce manual processes and minimize errors in payments and the recording of the transactions.
- Manage the activities of the accounts receivable department to ensure accurate and timely management of cash flow and monitor ageing of balances in accordance with best practices to maximize cash flow, reduce manual processes and minimize the amount of write-offs and bad debts.
- Support Payroll and HR in resolving accounting related issues and entry of any unusual transactions. Provide appropriate reporting direction as needed.
- Serve as a key accounting and business resource for the Company.
- Develop staff and ensure employee Performance Evaluations are completed within the required timeframe established by Human Resources.
- Assure that the general accounting functions follow best practice processes and a continuous improvement model.
- Ad-hoc duties as assigned.
- Reports directly to the Vice President of Finance for Takasago International Corp. USA.
- Work closely with the President, Senior Vice President (Japan Expat), Director of Financial Planning and Analysis, all members of the Senior Staff, all Business Units and Departments leaders within TAKUS.
- Maintain relationships with external customers as necessary, and with the parent company in Japan.
- Interaction with the Company’s independent public accountants, internal audit firm, tax consultant, and other external consultants.
- Supervise, directly or indirectly, the following positions: Manager of Accounting, Senior Accountant, Staff Accountant, Cost Accountant, Accounts Payable Clerks, Accounts Receivable Manager, and Accounts Receivable Specialist.
DEGREES AND CERTIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting is required.
- An active CPA designation is required.
- An MBA in Accounting or Finance is a strong plus.
- Minimum of 15 years hands-on accounting and analytical experience which should include at least 5 years of managerial experience as a company Controller, preferably in a middle market publicly held company, or a significant subsidiary of a publicly held company.
- Public accounting experience in audit, preferably with a major accounting firm.
- Manufacturing experience, including exposure to product cost accounting.
- Experience managing a SOX controls environment.
- Experience in the application of US GAAP and implementing new accounting standards.
- Strong general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable, fixed assets, financial reporting, consolidation, and product costing experience in an SAP environment.
- Exposure to Japanese business practices is helpful.
Interested candidates should e-mail resume to David Strayton at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mention that you are a member of EisnerAmper's Friends of the Firm program. Make sure to include Job #1375 in the subject line and to copy email@example.com on your email.