Job #1341: Chief Financial Officer - Mansfield, MA (1-10-2020)
Job TitleChief Financial Officer
SalaryDependent upon Experience
The Milton’s Group of Companies is family owned and consists of Milton’s Distributing Co., Inc.; Gordon Logistics LLC; and, Hope Beverage, LLC. The family has been in the alcoholic beverage industry for over eighty years.
Milton’s and Hope’s line of business is importation and wholesale distribution of alcoholic beverages to high profile regional and national retailers. Gordon Logistics is a young, third-party logistics provider offering warehousing and freight forwarding services, mostly to members of the alcoholic beverage industry.
The business is led by a third-generation family member. She has been in the leadership role for over sixteen years. There is a fiduciary board comprised of second and third generation family members as well as an advisory board made up of accomplished leaders from family business, the alcoholic beverage import and distribution industry as well as third party logistics.
Combined revenues of the businesses exceed $200,000,000.00. The employee base is 120 FTE.
Milton’s and Hope’s customers are located primarily in California and the east of the Mississippi. They operate their own warehouses in Mansfield, MA; Morrisville, NC and Ft. Mill, SC. Third-party warehousing is used for CA, IL and VT.
Gordon Logistics’ customers are from all over the world and are concentrated largely in the wine and spirits business. Gordon Logistics primary warehouse location is Edison, New Jersey. Gordon operates as a transportation provider in New England, NY, NJ and the Carolinas.
The companies are growing at over 10% per year; are engaged in an ERP/WMS conversion as well as expanded new client development.
Chief Financial Officer, V.P., Treasurer
Location: Mansfield, MA
Key Organizational Relationships:
Reports To: CEO
Peers: COO; Director of Human Resources
Direct Reports: Director, Information Technology; Compliance Director; Senior Accounting Manager.
Integrating Relationships: CFO will work closely with advisory and fiduciary boards as well as maintain close working relationships with department managers and business unit heads to ensure the smooth functioning, measurement and reporting of the strategic plan.
The CFO will act as key advisor to the CEO, company boards, and the senior management team on major strategic and operational issues and will manage the companies’ financial planning, analysis and reporting functions.
Financial Strategy: Develop, recommend and execute overall financial strategy that supports the business’ strategy and captures maximum value for shareholders.
- Formulate a strategically driven multi-year financial plan linking the company’s strategic objectives to target financial performance. Regularly monitor, report and update the plan utilizing a balanced scorecard for each line of business in order to highlight to leaders across the organization opportunities, risks and the appropriate allocation of resources.
- Negotiate and execute all major financial transactions including, but not limited to business acquisitions or divestitures, real estate transactions and lending /financing agreements.
- Accountable for establishing and monitoring cash management strategies.
- Establish and monitor key metrics to ensure financial and operational success.
Budgeting and Management Control: Design and implement processes to ensure that department leads have the right information to set goals, make decisions and monitor performance.
- Coordinate preparation of short-term operating budgets.
- Develop key performance measures for each department and/or line of business.
- Ensure department managers’ / business units have adequate management controls in place.
- Evaluate business unit performance in conjunction with CEO and business unit managers.
Financial Management: Accountable for effective and efficient management of companies’ financial operations, including but not limited to the following:
- Ensure that all external reporting and compliance obligations are fulfilled including the creation and updating of financial control policies, procedures and compliance reports.
- Ensure that all industry specific compliance requirements are met.
- Accountable for the leadership of pricing decisions.
- Manage all aspects of Financial Statement reporting including but not limited to:
- Successful Annual Audits, Tax Filings and Compliance reports.
- Monthly & Quarterly Reporting to CEO, fiduciary and advisory boards and business unit managers, inclusive of budget to actuals analysis.
- Detailed operational analysis by company, business unit, line of business.
- Inventory, AP, AR, accruals, debt and cash management, payroll and benefits, taxes.
- General accounting for all subsidiaries including actuals, budgets, forecasts, reconciliations and calculations of intercompany charges.
- Work with outside auditors to draft company’s annual financial statements.
- Establishing controls to safeguard company assets.
- Manage all risk management programs.
- Ensure the integrity and efficiency of cash, receivables and payables management.
- Maintain and update a real time 12-month cash flow projection.
- Ensure proper inventory management controls are in place including regular measurement and guidance of inventory management policies and strategies.
- Filing and paying all tax obligations.
- Pursuing opportunities to reduce company tax burden.
- Maintain strong day to day relationships with company bank(s).
- Maintain strong day to day relationships with company insurers and benefit providers.
- Maintain strong day to day relationships with outside counsel who work in the areas of compliance, real estate and general corporate matters.
- Lead discussions surrounding real estate transactions including lease negotiations, renewals and alternative solutions.
- Development of capital decision tools, capital appropriation requests and project/investment post mortems.
- Collaborate with IT Director to ensure that proper security profiles are established across the companies’ technology platform.
- Commitment to High Ethical Standards.
- Model, foster and hold teams accountable for our cultural attributes for success: collaborative; strong team player; trustworthy; disciplined; innovative; open; patient; resilient and have foresight for the future.
- Mentor and develop a best in class accounting team. Inspire, lead, and develop team to provide opportunity for team members and the company.
- Drive a culture of financial accuracy, accountability and service to the company.
- Promote collaboration between accounting and the rest of the organization via leading cross-functional initiatives and holding regular meetings that facilitate the company’s achievement of its goals.
- Act as an enterprise leader with the rest of the senior team on all matters concerning the strategic execution of our corporate objectives.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance required, CPA and MBA preferred.
- 15+years of progressive growth in financial roles in companies including at least ten years in leadership roles.
- Previous experience in logistics and distribution required.
- Previous experience with ERP or systems implementation.
- GAAP Experience.
- Experience in highly regulated industries required.
- Experience managing large inventories required.
- Demonstrated operational and financial leadership experience working with company going through a growth period and leveraging the balance sheet.
- Experience developing strategic long-range plans (3-5 years), both the financial modeling aspects as well as the competitor, organizational and other implications.
- Excellent analytical, reasoning and problem-solving skills.
- Experience with different partnership and contract arrangements with brand name retail customers.
- Outstanding knowledge and understanding of working with banks and other financial partners.
- Experience working with family boards as well as advisory boards.
- Background of leading continuous systems and process improvement.
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated leadership ability, confidence and executive presence – ability to motivate staff.
- Demonstrated ability to develop people to their fullest potential by actively managing performance, career development, and providing productive feedback.
- Effectively communicate the company’s strategy and latest developments as a part of maintaining strong partnerships with key third parties including our banks, accountants and insurers and supply chain partners.
Interested candidates should e-mail resume to Moira Casey at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mention that you are a member of EisnerAmper's Friends of the Firm program. Make sure to include Job #1341 in the subject line and to copy email@example.com on your email.