Job #1329: Consultant - New York, NY (12-19-19)
Founded in 2012 Company is a fully integrated private owner and operator of multifamily properties across the eastern United States. Headquartered in New York, NY. The company has owned and operated property throughout the Northeast and Southeast and currently owns/manages +$300 million of real estate assets across several states. This is a rare opportunity to join an emerging real estate team and gain deep exposure to the business of multifamily apartment investment, development, asset management and property management.
We are seeking a high-energy, self-motivated individual with an entrepreneurial spirit to be the newly created Controller. We are an entrepreneurial shop that is well positioned as an Emerging Manager Real Estate Investment firm. This individual will be exposed to a broad array of acquisition and finance opportunities across NYC and the Eastern Seaboard. We are generally focused on Multifamily acquisitions and developments with a tail of commercial exposure. Our new fund will be focused on Workforce/Affordable housing opportunities with an aggressive MBWE fulfillment goal. As part of the underwriting process, this individual will also work closely with other members across a 10+ person organization, including the Property Management and Construction teams. The individual will be expected to help Other responsibilities may include assisting with asset management and quarterly asset valuations, and investor reporting and distributions..
Primary Areas of Responsibility Include:
- Serve as Controller.
- Detailed understanding of Real Estate fund structures and relevant accounting & reporting requirements.
- Vibrant personality, creativity and enthusiasm with the ability to liaise with senior stakeholders and suggest areas for improvement.
- Ensure that all monthly, quarterly and annual financial accounting reporting is complete, accurate and delivered timely to the corporate officers and accountant.
- Establish, examine, interpret, analyze and manage complex accounting records for multiple companies Prepare year-end documents and reports for auditors and lenders as required for all loans, on a timely basis, ensuring reporting compliance.
- Prepare and contribute to all investor distributions and internal presentations for the investment committee.
- Manage the A/P and A/R process with a staff of accountants.
- Manage, review and evaluate yearly budget and forecasting process and review.
- Work with Property Manager to prepare detailed variance explanations, CAM and tax reconciliations and other related period end tenant and vendor billings.
- Responsible for overall property accounting and financial reporting, including annual financial statement audits for over 10+ entities properties.
- Guide key financial decisions by establishing, monitoring and enforcing policies, systems, and procedures with strong internal controls.
- Manage and protect assets by establishing, monitoring and enforcing internal controls.
- Review of monthly/quarterly/annual reports due to owners, investors, housing authorities and other outside groups.
- Attend meetings with owners and operations personnel for an update on operations, projects and financial conditions.
- Preparing compliance responses on behalf of owners to government agencies and financial institutions.
- Provide training to new and existing staff as needed, to include the handling of non-routine reporting transactions.
- Ensures that overall organizational strategy supports financial sustainability and the communities with measurable results that expands capacity to invest in viable projects.
- Develops the financial plan and annual budgets for the organization and its affiliates and directs long-term revenue and cost management to advance the strategic plan.
- Bachelor's degree required, preferably with a concentration in finance, real estate or accounting.
- Ideal candidate will have 3+ years of experience working in real estate private equity, advisory, finance or real estate development .
- Strong understanding of depreciation and all tax implications.
- The successful candidate is likely to have gained experience in a large accounting firm with relevant audit clients or in a similar role on the fund side within a Real Estate Investment manager.
- Our team needs someone who can hit the ground running from a technical perspective and be an instant subject matter expert given the lack of anyone in the role at present.
- Above average level of proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Knowledge of Remote Landlord software.
- Fundamental understanding of various property types and knowledge of their cash flows.
- Experience in acquisitions and finance accounting is a strong advantage.
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills with an ability to work with all levels of employees management and clients.
- Ability to model and structure joint venture and equity promote structures is desired.
- Self starter with strong organizational skills who is a team player and can work in a self-directed manner.
- Willingness to learn and be mentored.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong communication clearly both orally and in writing.
- Position will require some travel and is based in New York, NY.
- Health insurance, Dental insurance, Vision insurance, Retirement plan, Profit Sharing, Paid time off
Interested candidates should e-mail resume to email@example.com. Please mention that you are a member of EisnerAmper's Friends of the Firm program. Make sure to include Job #1329 in the subject line and to copy firstname.lastname@example.org on your email.