Job #1263: Finance Manager - New York, NY (9-25-19)
Job TitleFinance Manager
SalaryCommensurate with Experience
The Finance Manager is responsible for the accounting functions and financial reporting of the organization. This is a critical position for the organization as it ensures front-line managers and members of the senior leadership team have access to timely financial data that will inform future organizational decisions. Further, it ensures the organization achieves its zero-audit finding objective.
The successful candidate will be highly organized, have exceptional analytical skills, bring a high degree of professionalism to the position, significant attention to detail and curiosity that fuels a practice of excellence. Always working with a growth-mindset the position demands the enthusiasm for and ability to meet quick turn-around requests.
This position will be located in NYC and reports into the Chief of Staff. The Finance Manager will meet regularly with Initiative Managers, the Chief Executive Officer and Treasurer of the Board of Directors.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Build and oversee the organizational budget process.
- Provide accurate and timely cash flow projections and input on best practices to effectively manage the organization’s cash position.
- Manage the AR and AP aging and ensure follow-up is happening.
- Forecast cash flow.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual reporting including P&L, Balance Sheet and Projected Cash Flow.
- Manage relationship with external accounting firm responsible for all accounting transactions and tax filings.
- Performance ad hoc financial analysis, as needed.
- Oversee, in conjunction with the independent auditor, preparation of the annual audit.
- Prepare and submit grant financial reporting.
- Prepare financial documentation necessary to satisfy funder requests.
- Deliver financial presentations to the Senior Leadership Team and Board of Directors.
- Perform other financial duties as assigned by the Chief of Staff.
Position will liaise with external Accounting firm that has the following responsibilities:
- Develop and maintain financial record keeping, reporting systems, and accounting general ledger.
- Manage AR and AP.
- Ensure that all general ledger accounts and bank records are reconciled on a monthly basis.
- Prepare monthly closing general ledger entries.
- Oversee filing of tax forms including 1099s, state sales tax, federal and state tax withholdings, and other necessary filings.
- Prepare in conjunction with the independent auditor, the annual audit.
- Issue tax receipts.
- Bank deposits.
- Excellent ability to perform all of the skills required to fulfill all responsibilities outlined in the “Overview and Responsibilities” section above; prior experience with performing these functions is required.
- Possesses a passion for the work of the organization and its mission, is energized about protecting the ocean, and recognizes the need for urgent action.
- Strong presence and credibility, and a keen ability to build relationships quickly with others, including staff and leadership within the organization, partner and peer organizations and entities, and with funders as needed.
- Ability to look beyond typical approaches to solving large, complex problems and to consider the big picture, global, and long-term impact in decision-making.
- Superb ability to work in a fast-paced environment, adapt to change, perform under pressure, and possess consistent attention to detail.
- Ability to think strategically and contextually, and to anticipate the needs and expectations of executive leaders.
- Excellent ability to manage competing priorities and multiple, concurrent tasks, exhibit flexibility, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to analyze and present data effectively, to think analytically and pragmatically, make decisions, allocate resources, and align efforts with opportunities.
- Possesses a growth mindset, eager to hear the perspective of others, can pivot quickly and can put their own interests aside where needed.
- Ability to bring humor, humility, and kindness to the work.
- Superb verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
Education and Work Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance.
- Five or more years of experience in a financial management/reporting role. Experience with non-profit finance preferred.
Physical and Other Requirements:
- Office Environment: Constant computer work requiring repetitive motion, prolonged sitting and sustained visual/mental demands. Occasional lifting, bending, pulling, collating, and filing, some of which may be heavy (>15 lbs.) and require use of carts.
- Travel Environment: Occasional short, medium, and/or long-distance travel (up to 10% of time) which may require walking distances, lifting and carrying luggage and boxes (>25 lbs.) or prolonged periods of sitting in tight quarters.
- Ability to occasionally work after hours and on weekends, and operate an automobile.
Interested candidates should e-mail resume to Harry Brandler at: email@example.com. Please mention that you are a member of EisnerAmper's Friends of the Firm program. Make sure to include Job #1263 in the subject line and to copy Nkrumah Pierre and Isabella Brilliant at firstname.lastname@example.org on your email.