Job #1255: Director of Finance - Uniondale, NY (9-12-19)
Job TitleDirector of Finance
SalaryCommensurate with Experience
The DOF directs the Firm’s financial function and processes related to maximizing the financial performance according the Firm’s overall business and strategic objectives. The DOF reports to and works closely with the Firm’s Chief Operating Officer (COO) and will assume a strategic role in the overall fiscal management of the Firm. The DOF will have primary accountability for the planning, implementing, managing and controlling of all financial related activities of the Firm including, but not limited to; accounting, finance, forecasting, billing, partnership accounting, partnership tax and K-1s and firm financing. The DOF interfaces regularly with Firm Management to ensure that business strategies and tactics are effectively implemented and the competitive financial results are achieved. The DOF is a member of the administrative management team, working closely with other Firm Directors and Managers, including human resources, technology and office operations.
In addition, the DOF performs a variety of administrative, accounting and bookkeeping duties in order to maintain accurate financial and billing records and reports. The position will provide leadership and coordination in the areas of financial management, annual budgets, and for designing, implementing and maintaining processes for both operating and capital budgets; observe confidentiality of client and firm matters and will have primary responsibility for managing the accounting and billing departments through delegate staff, where applicable.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
“Essential” are primary job duties that an individual must be able to perform unassisted or with some reasonable accommodation made by the employer.
- Provides leadership and direction to the Firm’s financial operations, including accounting, expense control, financial planning and analysis, audit, tax, cash management, banking relationships, accounts payable, billing, accounts receivable, collections, petty cash, bank reconciliations, trust accounting, conflicts and new business intake, retirement and other benefit plans and risk management.
- Serves as an advisor and strategic partner to COO and Managing Partner regarding business planning, growth targets and revenue goals.
- Ensures the implementation of quality control measures and best practices regarding financial analysis, reports and metrics of practice groups and clients, and ensures adequate controls are maintained to safeguard the financial assets of the Firm.
- Assists COO with preparation of annual revenue, expense and net income budgeting; provides leadership with data necessary to assist the Firm’s Executive Committee in making strategic operating decisions.
- Provides financial analysis to COO and Managing Partner for lateral partner hires or practice group or Firm acquisitions.
- Ensures full utilization of the Firm’s ADERANT accounting system as well as ancillary software systems supporting various accounting functions.
- Oversees the process surrounding the preparation of annual partnership tax returns, including tax work paper preparation for 1065 Multi-State Filings with knowledge of Schedule M3 adjustments and NJ Tax Group Returns; oversees all monthly and year-end closings, the year-end review and compilation, and all financial reporting, including reconciliation of year –end allocations of profit and distributions for book and tax.
- Other “hands-on” tasks include demonstrated proficiency with 1099 preparation and filing, updating depreciation schedules including Section 179, 168 and Mid-Quarter Conventions, preparation of NYS and NJ Sales and Use Tax and NYC Commercial Rent and UBT returns, 5500 & Audit; work paper preparation for 401 (k) and Profit Sharing Plan and Medical Welfare Plans
- Monitors current trends in best practices in accounting and financial reporting and makes recommendations to COO for improvement, communicates impact of new developments and regulations in professional services firms and make appropriate recommendations for action and improvement.
- Participates in building a culture that is team-oriented, committed to professional excellence and that ensures a high level of client service. With the assistance of delegate staff, manages, mentors and develops accounting and billing staff and oversees training and development appropriate to ensure that all functional resources are in alignment with organizational needs.
- Provides strategy, analysis and recommendations to COO for establishing annual billing rates and other alternative fee arrangements for clients.
- Provides analytical and administrative support to COO, Managing Partner and Executive Committee with annual attorney and partner compensation processes.
- Oversees all client accounting areas including new client intake procedures, replenishment of retainers and timely billing and collections.
- Assists COO in monitoring inventory in unbilled fees and disbursements and accounts receivable; supervises collection manager in collection of delinquent accounts; meets with attorneys as necessary to resolve problem matters.
- Serves as key contact with COO on Firm banking relationships
- Assists COO and Director of Human Resources with financial analysis of Firm benefit programs
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must possess a high level of professionalism and interpersonal skills so as to be able to work well with employees at all levels within the Firm and maintain all information in the strictest of confidence. Required to use tact and diplomacy when dealing with others.
- Advanced skills in use of Aderant, Microsoft Office Applications such as Word and Excel.
- Must have ability to compose documents in the appropriate business style using correct grammar and spelling; ability to communicate clearly on all levels.
- Must possess attention to detail, ability to balance multiple projects and have exceptional time management skills.
- Ability to process routine daily functions while being able to resolve sensitive issues and complex assignments utilizing above average critical thinking skills.
- Ability to travel to other offices as needed.
- This is a full-time position which requires working in the office a minimum for 40 hours per week on a regular basis. Oftentimes, it may also include working outside of normal business hours to ensure completion of position requirements.
- The physical demands of the position are representative of those that must be met by an employee in order for him or her to successfully perform the essential functions of the position. These include being both mobile and stationary throughout the work day, having the ability to transport 20 pounds and being able to operate a computer and other business equipment found in the office.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills, with the ability to make the right choices among alternatives and build a business case for technical decisions.
- Creativity, resourcefulness and interest in identifying new strategies and approaches for process improvements and efficiency.
Required Education and Experience:
- A minimum of 5-10 years of relevant financial management experience, in positions of increasing authority, including 5-10 years of management in a law firm or other professional services environment.
- Experience with multiple office/location accounting, financial reporting, budgeting and analysis combined with a strong track record of managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- A solid understanding of hands-on-experience with financial and accounting technology applications and working familiarity with systems and business analytic tools.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting or a related field, MBA or CPA preferred, but not essential.
Interested candidates should e-mail resume directly to Fred Esposito at: Fred.Esposito@rivkin.com. Please mention that you are a member of EisnerAmper's Friends of the Firm program. Make sure to include Job #1255 in the subject line and to copy Nkrumah Pierre and Isabella Brilliant at email@example.com on your email.