Job #1241: Controller - Brooklyn, NY (9-12-19)
SalaryCommensurate with Experience
The Corporate Controller of will report to the Chief Financial Officer and will provide leadership and oversight of the accounting operation of the organization, including responsibility for the design of the accounting structure and control environment, and a robust system for comparison of actual results to budget, forecasts and plans. From time to time, the Controller may interface with investors, lenders, and regulatory agencies, and is responsible for the accuracy of all internal and external reporting.
The Corporate Controller is responsible for the production of periodic financial reports, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of internal controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy and integrity of Pace's reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and financial reporting standards. The Controller is responsible to the CFO for analysis of the monthly results, comparisons to forecast and plans, systematic variance analysis and ad hoc financial advice.
Job Functions and Responsibilities:
- Direct monthly accounting consolidation process and maintenance of General Ledger, including responsibility for adherence to GAAP, approval of accounting entries, and reconciliation of all balance sheet accounts
- Employing percentage of completion accounting methodology for revenue recognition, ensure that revenue, work-in-progress and gross profit calculations are correct each month
- Develop forecasts and annual plans to provide investors, lenders and management with adequate information to assess the financial and operational status of the business
- Oversee production of monthly, quarterly and annual accounting and financial reports, and analysis against monthly forecasts and annual plans. Identify and surface financial concerns by monitoring variances; identifying trends; recommending actions to management
- Lead cost and profitability analysis by providing trends and forecasts; explaining processes and techniques; providing actionable recommendations
- Prepare pre-qualification updates/reports required by customers, regulatory agencies, tax authorities, and lending groups
- Coordinate the information provided to external auditors and serve as key interface for the annual audit
- Ensure that the Accounting Department's goals and objectives are met
- Highly experienced in construction accounting systems with a deep knowledge of percentage of completion accounting method for revenue recognition
- Inspirational and transformational leadership skills and strong team orientation
- Brings strong communication skills to the role that will assist in building confidence in the finance organization
- Proven track record of developing and managing highly successful teams
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, goal-oriented work environment while setting priorities and managing to deadlines
- Strong strategic and analytical thinking skills – an attention to detail without losing site of the big picture
- Thorough understanding of accounting principles, practices and procedures
- Ability to analyze, identify and implement opportunities and corporate initiatives for improvement
- Ability to recruit, train and retain key talent in the finance department
Competencies, Skills and Abilities:
Understanding the Business
- Knows the construction business and has the technical skills needed to do the job; understands various types of business propositions and understands how businesses operate in general; learns new methods and technologies easily.
Keeping on Point
- Can quickly separate the mission-critical from the “nice to dos” and the trivial; quickly senses the next most useful thing to work on; focuses on the critical few tasks that add value and prioritizes accordingly.
Managing Work Processes
- Is an effective process, workflow, and systems designer; Is good at figuring out what to measure to track progress; always looking for incremental process improvement.
Focusing on Action and Outcomes
- Attacks everything with drive and energy with an eye on the bottom line; drives to finish everything he/she starts.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree required in accounting or business administration. Master’s degree highly preferred
- CPA Certification preferred
- 10+ years of experience as a Corporate Controller or equivalent financial roles of increasing responsibility in a manufacturing environment.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills with experience with multiple ERP systems. Strong Excel modeling capabilities.
- High standard of accuracy and precision; highly organized; focused on delivering commitments
- Highly-driven and self-motivated with a passion for continuous improvement
- Demonstrated ability to roll-up sleeves and work with other associates in a hands-on management capacity.
- Unwillingness to accept status quo combined with a strong bias for action
Interested candidates should e-mail resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org and include Job #1241 in the subject line.