Job #1234: Director of Finance and Administration - New York, NY (8-27-19)
Job TitleDirector of Finance and Administration
SalaryCommensurate with Experience
About Delivering Good:
Delivering Good, Inc. is the charity of choice for new product donations made by hundreds of companies in the fashion, home and children’s industries. Donating new merchandise provides these companies with a simple and effective way to help people in need. Founded over 30 years ago, Delivering Good is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that unites retailers, manufacturers, foundations and individuals to support people affected by poverty and tragedy nationally and abroad. Since 1985, over $2 billion of apparel, accessories, shoes, home furnishings, toys, books and other useful items have been distributed through our network of community partners. Total revenue, including in-kind donations of over $180 million, is generated with an annual operating budget of Delivering Good of approximately $3.8 million.
Delivering Good was created from the 2014 merger of Kids in Distressed Situations and Fashion Delivers. In May 2017, the organization rebranded as “Delivering Good” to reflect focused, ongoing support for children and families facing poverty and disaster. The organization is governed by an actively engaged 37 person board of directors who are industry leaders in the apparel, juvenile products, fashion, shoe, home and related enterprises respectively.
The Director of Finance and Administration, reporting to the President/CEO, will ensure the successful financial and related operations of the organization. The Director of Finance and Administration will be a key member of the leadership team. The Director of Finance and Administration will take an entrepreneurial approach to ensuring the effective management of financial resources. This is an exciting opportunity for a finance and operations leader to strengthen the internal capacity of a respected and effective organization.
- Finance: oversee external finance consultants and/or internal staff; liaison with Finance and Investment Committee; lead annual budget preparation and monthly monitoring; manage cash flow, monitor proper treatment of reserve and endowment funds; ensure timely filing and compliance with applicable state and federal tax and charitable solicitation laws and regulations; maintain banking and investment relationships
- Accounting: Oversee the preparation and presentation of monthly financial statements; oversee gifts-in-kind valuation processes, program and grants accounting; approve expenses and oversee payables process
- Audit: liaison with Audit Committee; coordinate audit and 990 preparation with external auditors; oversee auditor review process
- Real Estate: maintain relationship with landlord, lead search for new space as necessary
- Human Resources: Maintain relationship with professional employer organization (PEO) provider, including submission of payroll, benefits, retirement plan. Responsibility for overseeing compensation and benefits recommendations; hiring, training, performance evaluation
- Technology: Coordinate with technology consultants and vendors to manage computer systems and needs; lead any technology selection processes; security and integrity; cybersecurity, phone system
- Policies: Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices, including gift acceptance, financial procedures, product valuations, etc.
- Insurance: Annual review of all insurance policies
- Passion for community service and social welfare
- 10+ years of overall professional experience with signification financial and operations management experience in the nonprofit sector
- Experience in financial reporting, review of quality and content of financial data, reporting and audit coordination.
- Experience developing and implementing nonprofit organizational policies and procedures and oversight for legal and compliance matters
- Technology savvy with experience overseeing software installations and relationships with software vendors; implementation of new processes and systems that increase efficiency; knowledge of accounting and reporting software
- Desire to work collaboratively in a small team environment, combined with comfort in working with senior industry executives
- Experience/Interest in or similar field highly desirable
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance required; MBA/MPA/CPA or related degree preferred.
Compensation and benefits:
Salary commensurate with experience. Attractive benefits available.
To apply, please submit your resume, together with a cover letter describing your interest and relevant experience, including in the fashion, retail or logistics field, to HR@delivering-good.org, with the subject line: DIRECTOR OF FINANCE AND ADMINISTRATION - JOB #1234. Make sure to to copy Nkrumah Pierre and Isabella Brilliant at firstname.lastname@example.org on your email.