Job #1213: Chief Financial Officer - Philadelphia, PA (8-13-19)
- Job Title: Chief Financial Officer
- Location: Pennsylvania
- Salary: Open
Harvest CFO has been retained to deliver a highly skilled Chief Financial Officer (CFO) for a growth-focused, PE-backed recognized industry leading same day courier and logistics company. Headquartered in Philadelphia, PA, this company provides coverage across the US through its network of local offices and certified national logistics partners. This company provides same day courier solutions for time-critical medical, legal and industrial needs as well as services for warehousing, distribution and courier management. Founded more than 30 years ago, this company is solidly profitable, has a strategic plan for continued, profitable growth and a track record of success built on integrity, authenticity, and consistency in delivering value to its customers and subscribes to a culture that is steeped in customer service, entrepreneurial spirit and engagement of is people.
The CFO role has primary day-to-day “hands on” responsibility for planning, implementing, managing and controlling all financial and operational reporting. This includes direct responsibility for accounting, finance, forecasting, FP&A, capital expenditure analysis, working capital management, treasury, tax, insurance, budget and audit functions. The CFO role will have direct oversight of accounting and finance and will play a key leadership role as to transitioning financial and operational management systems from an entrepreneurial-owned environment to meet the needs in a PE-backed environment, as well as process improvements. The CFO will be tasked to assess financial performance across all revenue streams and lead initiatives toward improving profitability, cash flow and liquidity. The CFO is expected to maintain strong systems and controls to safeguard corporate assets and ensure corporate policies are followed. The CFO is also responsible for managing ongoing banking relationships and associated covenant reporting.
The CFO position is a high-profile role within the organization with significant opportunity for growth. The CFO role is a critical tactical and strategic position working collaboratively with the CEO and Board to execute on the strategic plan. The CFO position is a key leadership role in the management of the company as well as in the development and execution of the company’s short and long-term strategies. The CFO is expected to be a true “business partner” and work effectively across all functional areas. The CFO is expected to be a positive impact across the company and enhance its culture internally as well with key third parties.
This role provides a competitive compensation and benefits package and has equity participation.
- Industry experience in a multi-location, multi-faceted B2B logistics or transportation services industry environment preferred but not required.
- Successful experience:
• as a financial leader who is both “hands on” and “scalable” in a multi-location, commercial operations environment generating at least $50MM of annual revenues and proven ability to manage growth;
• as an effective change leader/change manager shepherding financial and operational improvements;
• in a financial leadership role for a private equity portfolio company or similar environment;
• developing and managing a high performing financial planning and analysis (FP&A) function to support the business;
• managing treasury functions including cash flow and working capital forecasting and liquidity planning;
• advancing financial management and implementation of GAAP best practices across the business;
• working as an operations-focused business partner across all functions of an organization;
• in a leadership role for systems and processes evaluation, improvements and upgrades;
• working with requirements contained within credit agreements including financial reporting, cash forecasting, borrowing base and covenant reporting;
• as a business partner with the CEO, management and board to achieve targeted results and development and execution of the strategic plan;
• in a leadership role as to acquisition due diligence and post-acquisition integration including monitoring progress towards targeted synergies and cost savings;
- Reports to the CEO and will make board presentations.
- Direct Reports to the CFO:
• Finance and accounting team.
• Oversight of HR and IT.
- CPA license and/or MBA is preferred.
Primary Ongoing Functions and Skillsets:
- Leads the development and implementation of goals, policies, priorities, financial strategy, linked metrics and procedures concerning financial and operational management including budgeting, accounting and FP&A.
- Establishes sound internal financial management control systems and develops procedures to continuously improve internal control systems.
- Leads preparation of ongoing required financial statements and operating reports ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Reviews financial statements and operating reports with all parties of interest.
- Oversee and ensure timely and accurate processing of transactions and accounting data and ensure legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions.
- Initiates and optimizes appropriate strategies to enhance cash flow, working capital and liquidity in a levered environment.
- Manages annual audit process and coordination of preparation of external audit materials, external GAAP financial reporting and all tax compliance and reporting.
- Leads preparation of quarterly Board package and makes Board presentations.
- Responsible for Monthly Business Review package and ownership and delivery of review to BOD and Management team members.
- Responsible for building yearly operating plan within the strategic plan framework.
- Develop/lead a robust forecasting process to provide reliable forward-looking insights and a budgeting function that improves department accountability and current operating results.
- Manages preparation/analysis of daily/weekly/monthly reports of key financial and operational metric trends.
- Assess organizational performance against budgets with functional leaders and management team and provides leadership for operational improvements to improve profitability.
- Manage banker relationships including monitoring compliance with any debt covenants as well as building quarterly business review financial package for senior lender reviews.
- Assist with negotiation of terms and conditions within customer agreements.
- Develop and manage a high performing accounting and finance staff within appropriate budget constraints for a business of this nature.
- Lead M&A financial due diligence, participate in acquisition evaluation and structuring and finance/accounting integration.
Quality Management and Improvement
- Proactively focuses on continuous improvement in accuracy and timeliness of ongoing financial management, financial and operational reporting and accounting and finance processes.
- Identify and lead implementation of company profit improvement opportunities including gross margin improvements across service offerings and cost management.
Strategic and Analytical
- Displays orientation to profitability and aligns finance with strategic goals.
- Analytical abilities and solid communication skills as to what is driving results.
- Provide management team with business forecasts that convey timely insights as to prospective profit impacts of changes in pricing/volumes and/or cost reductions as needed and as market conditions dictate that enable better management decision making.
- Develop and manage processes and systems to provide management team with timely financial and operational information in regard to company performance compared to strategic/operation plan and make actionable strategic and tactical recommendations.
- Continuous focus on improving EBITDA and communication of strategies and executable action plans to management team.
- Play a key role with the CEO, management team and Board in key decisions pertaining to strategic initiatives and execution.
- Preparation and communication to management of capital budgets when necessary to justify prospective investments.
- Establishes credibility throughout the organization as an effective developer of solutions to business challenges.
- Ability to build solid working relationships across the organization including with leadership, workforce, customers, suppliers and key third parties.
IT and Technology
- Proficiency with technology systems including ERP and can leverage IT to gain competitive efficiencies.
- High proficiency with Excel and proficiency with all MS Office applications.
Other Functions and Useful Skillsets:
- Review contracts and approve financial terms.
- Understanding of quality initiatives such as continuous improvement, six sigma, lean or similar concepts.
- Risk management including appropriate tax, insurance and legal aspects/strategies to preserve and enhance company assets and growth plans.
- Partner with HR to evaluate and establish appropriate compensation/benefit structures, including incentive plans and sales compensation structures that link with and have potential to enhance company performance.
Key Personal Attributes:
- Strong Leadership: A Proactive and Passionate Advocate for the Business.
- Exceptional Technical Skills Tailored to the Business.
- Sense of Urgency: “All Hands On Deck”.
- A Proactive Partner with leadership team.
- Ownership of and passion for the numbers and competence around diving into the details.
- Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well.
- Effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Accepts feedback from others; Gives appropriate recognition to others
- Creates a sense of team spirit and helps to create a positive work environment.
- Ethics: Treats people with respect, keeps commitments; works with integrity and ethically. Upholds organizational core values. Follows through on commitments.
- Strategic Thinking: Develops strategies to help achieve departmental and company goals.
- Oral/Written Communication Skills: Speaks/writes clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations. Listens and gets clarification.
- Actively participates in meetings. Presents himself/herself in a well-groomed professional manner. Strong executive presence.
- Innovation: Displays original thinking and creativity. Meets challenges with resourcefulness, generates suggestions for improving work and develops innovative approaches and ideas.
- Adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands, changes approach or method to best fit the situation, able to deal with change, delays or unexpected events.
- Strong organizational skills: versatile and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously with competing deadlines.
- Strong work-ethic, detail-driven and a commitment to doing whatever it takes to get the job done.
- Demonstrates exceptional follow through.
- Occasional travel to company locations, for board meetings, etc.
Interested candidates should send resumes to Steve Garland at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mention that you are a member of EisnerAmper's Friends of the Firm program. Make sure to include Job #1213 in the subject line and to copy Nkrumah Pierre and Isabella Brilliant at email@example.com on your email.