Job #1145: Vice President - Financial Planning & Analysis - Elmsford, NY (5-14-19)
Job TitleVice President - Financial Planning & Analysis
For more than 100 years, our client has been leading the way in the medical uniform and linen rental industry. Today, they are the largest family-owned healthcare service provider in the country, with over 1700 employees, 11 plants servicing facilities/customers in 7 states (and two additional plants in the process of being put online, which will bring states served to 9. This is a company that doesn’t make idle promises or cut corners; they always strive to exceed expectations. That is, simply, the way this family business has always been run.
Opportunity Summary and Position Responsibilities:
StevenDouglas has been exclusively retained to find the VP FP&A who will fit the culture that is the cornerstone of this family business. Given its consistent successes, significant growth and ambitious plans, our client is adding a new role and seeks to find the right Vice President Financial Planning & Analysis to continue to sustain and add value to a lean, strong and successful finance and overall management team. In particular, this new management team position will focus on both broad general accounting and finance functions as well as specific strategic finance functions, including:
- Supporting the CEO and the CFO along with the entire management team around strategic decisions with facts and numbers and a deep understanding of alternatives.
- Understanding risks, rewards and choices as the company examines growth alternatives that include opening facilities in new geographies and potentially acquiring companies to extend the geographic footprint of this 100+-year-old company.
- Implementing/updating financial systems, policies and procedures that enable effective and efficient financial management and business modeling with the CEO and CFO and members of the senior management team.
- Bringing a fresh and productive outside-in perspective to the management team and actively participating in conversations that propel this company to the next level while also being positioned to succeed the current CFO when he retires in 3 to 5 years.
- Ongoing capital management – helping the company to manage cash (and credit – the banking relationships) that will support continued growth.
- Extending the positive corporate culture with the right forward-thinking yet detail oriented get-it-done mentality.
The current CFO has been with the company for over 17 years – this is a stable and enduring company with a unique opportunity here that is rarely found in new jobs – to work side by side with the current CFO to build next generation reporting, systems, analytics and processes, and in the process of achieving that, build yourself into the CFO in waiting.
Our client seeks a multifaceted individual to help lead a capable accounting team while building a finance team. This new leader will forge a finance organization that is a central part of (and provider of information to) the management team of this company. The VP FP&A will participate as a member of the senior management team – contributing to the ongoing strategy refinement, developing analytics, taking over responsibility for financial reporting and analysis from the CFO and building new processes and capabilities to continue to give the entire management team a better, more inclusive, clearer view of the company as it grows and evolves.
Our search is for a unique individual with a hands-on approach and a demonstrable balance of:
- Financial leadership in a manufacturing, retail or distribution company with multiple sites.
- Accounting management with the ability to partner with an experienced Controller.
- Finance, budgeting and forecasting along with a risk management perspective that includes deep experience with analytics and bank reporting while helping the company make prudent decisions.
- Planning/modeling (and the matching computing skills) and the ability to produce financial reporting and help the leadership team understand the implications of those reports.
- Provide the CEO and CFO and management team with the information they need and provide analytics to support decisions and understand results.
- Development and improvement of processes that make sense and improve the overall performance of the company and efficiency of the function.
- A willingness and ability to eventually take over management of HR and IT, and over time to take a working technology environment and leverage it to provide added value, ultimately evolving the systems towards a next generation of technology when appropriate.
- Strong relationship and presentation skills.
This is a key finance and leadership position in terms of challenging firm wide strategic thinking on an ongoing basis and providing hands-on leadership that impacts overall business performance. For a VP Finance with accounting and planning/reporting experience who is a CFO in the making and who has experience with complex multi-location middle market ($100 MM to $500 MM) manufacturing or distribution companies, this is a significant role and an exceptional career/long term opportunity.
Ideal Candidate Profile:
The successful candidate will be a well-rounded business leader with exceptional financial, accounting, management and people skills. This is a role that will appeal to a finance leader who wants to become and is ready to grow into a CFO role and who:
- Must be hands on
- Has a company first, get-it-done mentality.
- Is the right cultural fit for the management team and company.
- Is focused on enablement of those in the company team rather than control.
- Has prior experience with a family business (not necessarily a must).
The ideal candidate will have a background that includes evidence of:
- A thorough understanding of finance, accounting, budgeting and cost controls backed by experience and credentials.
- Eight or more years in progressive finance, financial planning, reporting, KPI and other analysis, and accounting roles.
- Ability to analyze financial data and prepare and interpret financial reports, statements and projections.
- A solid financial controls background.
- An ability to review and eventually upgrade technology platforms in order to improve the flow of information and the ease of acquiring it.
- Experience within a multi-site manufacturing, retail or distribution environment.
- A proven ability to enhance and develop an organization that indicates ability to transition to the CFO role in a three to five-year time frame.
- Excellent general and overall business skills, including people, organizational, technology and systems, financial/accounting/planning, HR, communication and negotiating skills.
- Sound Judgment/Ethics.
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion
- Bachelor’s degree required, CPA or an MBA would be helpful.
While financial planning and analysis experience with a larger company is welcomed, at least some experience in a family company is also beneficial. There is different and deep heart and soul to companies like our client– a fourth generation family company - that makes comfort with this environment critical. Our client is a company where the right VP FP&A will become the future CFO and can be a substantial contributor for this generation of company leaders.
This role offers a solid compensation program designed to attract a world class VP Finance. It will include:
- A highly competitive base salary plus bonus.
- Benefits that include 401k with match, typical health and other insurance participation and vacation commensurate with executive status.
Interested candidates should send resume to Don Zinn at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mention that you are a member of EisnerAmper's Friends of the Firm program. Make sure to include Job #1145 in the subject line and to copy Nkrumah Pierre and Isabella Brilliant at email@example.com on your email.