Job #1140: Management Company Controller - New York, NY (5-13-19)
- Job Title: Management Company Controller
- Location: New York
- Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Leeds Equity Partners is a middle market private equity firm that invests exclusively in the Knowledge Industries (Education, Training and Information Services). The Firm has one office based in Manhattan and currently has a team of approximately 20 people including three in the finance function. There are currently three active funds with AUM of approximately $1.3 Billion and the Firm is a launching fundraising for its seventh fund in the second half of 2019.
We are hiring a Management Company Controller to join our team in New York. This position reports to the CFO and will have multiple responsibilities across the finance function including:
- Accounting and reporting
- Tax Compliance
- Investor Relations
- Portfolio monitoring
Tax will be an important component of the role although we are not necessarily looking for a tax expert. We are looking for someone that understands partnership accounting and private equity allocations and can work closely with our tax service provider to convert the book allocations to tax allocations, prepare tax estimates and file of all relevant federal, state and local tax forms accurately and on a timely basis. The Firm has made several investments in pass-through entities over the last five years which has materially increased the amount and complexity of the tax work required to be performed.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee all federal and state and foreign tax compliance for our funds, AIV’s and management company, in collaboration with our tax service provider. This includes: portfolio company K‐1 collection, FATCA reporting, issuance of investor K‐1s, FBARs, 1042s, 1099s, etc.
- Work with tax service provider to prepare tax estimates and tax distributions
- Serve as key point of contact for tax service providers
- Help maintain fund allocation and distribution waterfalls in accordance with the funds’ LPAs
- Assist finance team in the portfolio company valuation process
- Train and supervise junior team members
- Work with the Fund Controller on the quarterly close and production of investor financial reporting packages
- Assist with managing the funds’ cash planning needs and banking relationships
- Assume primary responsibility for GP entities, including capital account preparation, carry allocations, tax allocations and quarterly tax estimates.
- Work with investment team on delivering internal portfolio company reporting and ad hoc investment data requests
- Assist in the fundraising process working with the deal team and finance team in the development of fundraising material, the creation and maintenance of a robust fundraising data room, responding to information requests from potential limited partners and helping close new investors into the fund
- Perform other duties as needed to support the business functions and special projects
- Assisting the CFO with managing and monitoring the Firm’s compliance program
CPA (preferred) with 6-8 years’ experience working with partnership tax compliance (public/private/fund admin all possible). We are an entrepreneurial organization with a collaborative culture. A successful candidate will be a resourceful, highly-motivated, detail-oriented individual possessing great communication skills, and the ability to work well in a fast-paced, environment.
Preferred Skill Set/Experience:
- Experience with developing and maintaining allocation waterfalls in compliance with partnership agreements
- Experience in asset valuation
- Exposure to funds with investments in pass-through entities
- Experience with implementing partnership accounting software
- Expertise with Excel
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills and an overall willingness and ability to learn
- “Outside of the box” thinker
- Highly self-motivated and eager to take on a challenge
- Comfortable with owning and driving undefined/ambiguous projects
- Embraces new technology and automation efficiencies and is flexible/adaptable in approach
- Detail oriented and highly accurate
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- High level of discretion and ability to maintain a strict degree of confidentiality
Compensation commensurate with individual experience and includes base salary, bonus and generous pension plan. The Firm also has a leverage co-investment plan that loans money to employees to invest along side the funds we manage.
Interested candidates should send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mention that you are a member of EisnerAmper's Friends of the Firm program. Make sure to include Job #1140 in the subject line and to copy Nkrumah Pierre and Isabella Brilliant at email@example.com on your email.