- Bankruptcy & Restructuring
- Forensic Investigations
- Fiduciary Services
CREDENTIALS / EDUCATION
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Certified Insolvency & Restructuring Advisor (CIRA)
- Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE)
- Certified in Financial Forensics (CFF)
- The Ohio State University: Finance
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Association of Insolvency & Restructuring Advisors
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
- Turnaround Management Association: Philadelphia Chapter, President
Edward Phillips is a Partner in the firm’s Bankruptcy and Restructuring Group. He has over 25 years of experience in finding solutions to problems in restructuring, insolvency, liquidation, and forensic accounting matters. Ed has represented a variety of parties and functioned in a number of roles in bankruptcy proceedings, out-of-court restructurings, forensic accounting engagements and post-confirmation engagements.
Ed has worked with numerous troubled company clients, Chapter 11 creditors’ committees and secured lenders across a wide range of industries. In addition to his advisory roles, he has served as a Chief Restructuring Officer, post-confirmation trustee, elected Chapter 7 trustee, and receiver in multiple federal jurisdictions and the Delaware Chancery Court. He has provided acquisition due diligence services to buyers of distressed assets. He routinely consults with and advises clients involved in complex forensic accounting matters and avoidance actions. He has testified on numerous occasions on avoidance actions, cash collateral disputes, plan feasibility, fraud and other financial matters in dispute. He has also written articles on related topics for various professional publications.
Ed was a principal author of The Chief Restructuring Officer’s Guide to Bankruptcy published by the American Bankruptcy Institute. He has spoken before professional and trade groups on troubled company issues, preference and fraudulent conveyance actions, and financial statement analysis.
- What words of wisdom or famous quote most influences you professionally?
- "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?" – John Blutarsky, from the movie Animal House
- Where did you grow up?
- Newark, Ohio
- Describe your college experience in one sentence.
- Four of the best years of my life
- How do you enjoy spending your time outside the office?
- Playing squash, traveling, gardening, reading and relaxing with friends.
- What are you most passionate about with your work?
- Solving complex problems.
- What client issue do you have a knack for resolving?
- Keeping things in perspective and providing clarity to an ugly situation.
- Why did you become a CPA?
- So I wouldn't have to explain why I wasn't a CPA.
- I love when clients ask me about …
- Beer, bourbon or insolvency, because these are things which I actually know something about and can speak with authority.
- If you had to choose another occupation, what would it be?
- Distiller or brewer
- What is your favorite TV show?
- Family Guy
- What is your favorite nonprofit to support?
- Free Library of Philadelphia Foundation, because after exercise, the best way to keep at-risk children out of trouble is to get them reading and give them a safe place to go for intellectual exploration.
- What was your favorite car that you owned?
- My 2002 BMW 525i. Even with 170,000 miles, it drives like the day I bought it. It sticks to the road like glue, it's reliable, has a manual transmission and gets great gas mileage.