Job #1866: Controller - NJ (4/7/2023)
LocationNorth Plainfield, NJ
Accounting Controller Position Description
Review in detail the financial packages, reports and schedules produced by staff accountants which are distributed to clients and owners. This includes but not limited to:
- Variance analysis and explanations
- Distribution analysis
- Capital project summary
- Workpaper schedules and support
- CAM and Real Estate Tax settle-up analyse
Collaborate with staff accountants to provide financial information, documentation and analyses as requested by owners, management and external parties (such as independent auditors, lenders).
Review annual property budgets, providing feedback and commentary to preparers (staff accountants and property managers). Once a final draft is available, it is released to client for their review and approval.
Respond and resolve issues as requested by clients and management.
Conduct monthly client calls along with Property Management, Leasing and Construction departments. These calls/meetings with clients discuss update and findings. At the conclusion of the meetings, feedback and further inquiries are relayed to the Accounting team.
Organize and schedule:
- Monthly reporting deadlines and due dates for recurring tasks (such as tenant billbacks, management company fee billings). This is distributed
- Annual budget preparation deadlines
Review and approve:
- Bank reconciliations prepared by accounting staff.
- Vendor invoices for processing and payment. Ensure appropriate coding and support are provided.
- Funding requests prior to submitting to client
Ensure tenant collection matters are being addressed and pursued.
Review and approve funding requests submitted to clients
Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance.
At least 7 to 10 years accounting experience (after obtaining undergraduate degree).
Robust understanding of accounting theory/terms and methods, including GAAP, accrual and cash bases.
An intermediate to advanced level of knowledge of accounting functions, including bank reconciliations, accounts receivable, accounts payable, fixed assets, mortgages/loans.
Knowledgeable of the real estate industry, specifically commercial retail properties.
Experience with real estate accounting applications such as Integrated Business Systems (IBS), MRI and/or Yardi.
Proficient with Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, Outlook) required. With regards to Excel, should be able to analyze large amounts of data as well as incorporate certain functions to aid in performing the task at hand efficiently.
- Oversee accounting staff tasks and responsibilities, ensuring accuracy and timeliness are met.
- Diverse analytical and problem solving skills.
- Self-motivated, detail oriented and organized in work.
- Ability to prioritize responsibilities and meet assigned deadlines for maximum results.
- Strong verbal and written communication.
- Adapt and accept change.
Interested members should e-mail resume to Jennifer Mercer at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mention that you are a member of EisnerAmper's Friends of the Firm program. Make sure to include Job #1866 in the subject line and to copy email@example.com on your email.