Job #1864: Assistant Controller - Brooklyn / Hybrid (3/30/2023)
Job TitleAssistant Controller
LocationBrooklyn / Hybrid
We’re excited to be looking for an Assistant Controller to join our Accounting team in Brooklyn, NY. Reporting to our Controller, you'll lead and manage the entire period-end financial close process and have the opportunity to identify efficiencies and implement them timely.
You’re the perfect person for this role if you’re experienced with accounting and financial reporting systems, are excited to design and implement close efficiencies to support growth and have excellent technical accounting skills with a detailed understanding of current GAAP standards. If this sounds like you, we’d love to hear from you!
This role is based in Brooklyn, NY, and we have a 2 days in/3 days remote schedule.
What you’ll do:
- Develop, lead, and manage the entire period-end financial close process (fiscal month, quarter, and year-end)
- Ensure timely and accurate accounting treatment of all transactions under US GAAP (including day to day transactions)
- Implement industry standard best practices across new and existing workflows while focusing on optimization and the reduction of manual processes
- Establish and implement effective controls over the accounting, close, and reporting processes
- Assist with strategic planning and implementation of department/company-wide initiatives
- Manage team workload, structure, and staffing to ensure balance and alignment of individual skillsets and career aspirations
- Build and maintain relationships with business leaders
- Lead company through financial statement audit with Big 4 firm
- Enhance cross-functional collaboration by fostering trust, commitment, accountability and results
We’re looking for someone who brings:
- 7+ years of accounting experience; a mix of public and private accounting experience
- An active CPA license
- Bachelors degree in Accounting
- Experience working for a company that sells inventory in the retail or ecommerce space
- 3+ years of people leadership experience
- Excellent technical accounting skills
- A strong knowledge of current GAAP standards
- Experience leading the execution and optimization of accounting operations and accounting close processes
Compensation & Benefits:
At Brooklinen, our goal is to offer a competitive total compensation package which we determine based on specific market data taking into account our company size, stage, industry, and location. The base salary range for this role is between $130K-$150K.
Beyond base salary, we contribute significantly to offset the cost of health benefits, offer a 401K with a 4% Safe Harbour match, grant a $1K annual wellness bonus, have commuter benefits, and provide a yearly product allowance.
We have 14 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for all new parents, year-long Summer Fridays, a workday that starts at 10 am, four weeks of vacation, and a one-month paid sabbatical at your 5th anniversary.
Most importantly of all, our HQ hires receive competitive equity grants. We would be happy to tell you more about this and how to value this part of compensation during our interview process.
Why join us?
- Our team is made up of friendly, funny, welcoming, low-ego, and passionate people -- who also happen to be great at what they do. We all know the people you work with can make or break a job and so we go to great lengths to protect this amazing culture.
- We work hard but are well-rounded and well-rested. Hanging with coworkers is encouraged. So is taking a vacation, getting a great night's sleep (our day starts at 10 am), and getting out of here at a reasonable time (we have year-long summer Fridays that end at 3 pm).
- Care about growth? So do we. We’re growing, so we’ve got tons of exciting growth opportunities for our amazingly talented team. Not the type of place where you wait for your boss to quit before you can get promoted. New projects and business needs pop up every single day, and we always look internally first.
- Hybrid work - our HQ team has 2 days in and 3 days remote schedule.
- And don’t just take our word for it! We’re honored to be recognized by various industry tastemakers for the work we’ve put into our culture and employee engagement, including accolades from LinkedIn Top Startups (in 2020 and 2021!), Inc.’s Best Workplaces and Forbes Best Startup Employers in America.
Everyone is welcome at Brooklinen - we’re passionate about building a team that reflects the diversity of our community and creating an environment where our differences are celebrated. We invite you to take a look at how we’ve done so far and where we know we need to do better.
Brooklinen, home of The Internet’s Favorite Sheets, was founded in 2014 with one goal in mind: We want you to be comfortable.
We believe everyone deserves beautiful home essentials, and our approach to provide these is simple: Create high-quality products using the finest materials – from bedding to towels and everything in between – and offer these products directly to our customers (without the luxury markup!). As we’ve expanded beyond the bedroom, introducing bath goods, accessories, loungewear, our Spaces marketplace and IRL retail stores (with many more opening in 2022 and beyond!), our goal of keeping you comfortable has remained at the forefront.
We take pride in our products and think you will, too: Our sheets, towels and more have received over 100,000 5-star reviews and been recognized by numerous industry tastemakers such as Apartment Therapy, Good Housekeeping, The New York Times’ Wirecutter and many more.
Interested members should e-mail resume to Meghan Kaye at email@example.com. Please mention that you are a member of EisnerAmper's Friends of the Firm program. Make sure to include Job #1864 in the subject line and to copy firstname.lastname@example.org on your email.