Job #1627: Associate Director, Finance - New York City, NY (6-10-21)
Job TitleAssociate Director - Finance
With over 35 years of experience, NFF is a recognized leader in providing financing and expert advice to mission-driven organizations facing strategic opportunities, changes, or challenges. The Finance Department is part of NFF’s Finance and Administration Business Unit (F&A BU) led by the CFO and Managing Director of Finance and Administration.
Reporting to the Controller and VP, the Associate Director (AD), Finance and Accounting, serves as a member of the F&A BUs senior leadership team and is charged with managing the day-to-day operations of NFF’s accounting functions, providing both leadership and expertise to the team. Our ideal candidate will have strong management experience and functional expertise, possess exceptional attention to detail, an orientation towards being of service, and a passion for the work of the NFF. The AD will supervise three full time employees and one part-time employee.
The following overview of responsibilities is intended to describe the type of work which will be assigned to this position. It is not an exhaustive list of all specific duties required by the employee:
- Lead by example in managing a team of finance and accounting professionals, driving results using data, direct feedback and strong accountability in a supportive and learning-driven environment that fosters high staff engagement and professional growth.
- Serve as subject matter expert for functional area under management; create and deliver training on relevant finance and accounting-related topics to the team.
- Serve as primary spokesperson for relevant accounting and financial systems used in functional area, gaining and maintaining knowledge needed for team to perform duties using the systems' relevant modules and reporting features.
- Collaborate with intra and inter department team members, providing and exchanging information regarding existing and/or new work flows and projects and communicating possible implications for the team.
- Lead by Doing at customer service excellence by providing timely, thorough and friendly responses to internal and external stakeholder inquiries.
- Represent the finance department on cross-functional organizational projects as needed.
- Complete ad hoc projects as directed by Finance Leadership [CFO and Controller].
- Acts as the back up to the Controller as authority is delegated.
- Manage daily accounting operations for the general ledger, accounts payable and cash receipts transactions. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Oversee accounts payable processing, disbursements, monitoring compliance NFF policies, adherence to accounting best practices and ensuring procedures for timely and efficient processing are in place.
- Oversee fee for services billing process, review invoices and underlying contracts to ensure compliance with FASB Revenue Recognition Standard (ASU 2014-09).
- Review daily cash receipts and accounting thereof and review monthly bank reconciliation reports, bring any discrepancies immediately to Controller’s attention.
- Review semi-monthly payroll prior to submission, ensuring accuracy that all relevant changes are reflected in payroll preview.
- Review monthly grant releases schedule and reconciliation with general ledger.
- Review the trial balance on a monthly basis and keep balance sheet accounts reconciled.
- Supervise monthly grant expenses allocation and grant releases processes.
- Manage communication and tracking of team's deliverables for monthly accounting close, providing transparency and accountability across the team for completion of associated tasks as per set timeline.
- Serve as system administrator and content expert for accounting system, supporting user profile maintenance and suggesting changes to chart of accounts, projects, business units, etc. as needed.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly financial statements.
- Review grant reports prepared by the senior grant accountant before sending them over to the funders.
- Review quarterly and annual NMTC Funds financial statements and draft audited financial statements.
- Partner with controller on setting up cost allocation and enterprise revenue allocation processes.
- Work with the Controller reviewing financial policies and procedures periodically to identify and strengthen areas of internal controls.
- Act as thought partner to the Controller on topics of strategic importance, across Finance and Administration Business Unit represent finance department and the Controller as situations require.
- Assist the controller with the design of the financial data set for the CFO Dashboard.
- Generate a monthly balance sheet and assist the controller with financial analysis.
- Continually seeking to improve financial processes, should have an appetite to innovate to achieve a greater level of efficiency.
Compliance & Reporting
- Prepare quarterly financial statements package for investor reporting, including cash flow reports and other schedules.
- Partnering with controller, plan and manage annual audit, federal single audit and 403 b retirement plan audit, liaise with auditors, prepare and/or review audit materials and schedules, and manage deliverable deadlines with internal contributors and auditors.
- Perform periodic internal audits of accounting transactions and procedures to ensure quality control over financial data and alignment with relevant fiscal policies.
- Liaising with auditors and working with finance team prepare annual regulatory filings, including Form 990, Form 5500 and multiple state annual filings, provide accurate data for internal review and timely submission to appropriate agencies.
- Four-year undergraduate degree in accounting required with a strong grasp of GAAP and current accounting best practices. Advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software, aptitude for learning new financial technology. MBA with a minor in accounting, will also be considered.
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience with at least 2 years leading a team
- Outstanding computer literacy required, with advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel and other Office Suite applications.
- Strong interpersonal skills that contribute to a collegial working environment.
- Demonstrated ability to speak and write in succinct, informative and friendly manner such that content, expectations and timelines are clearly understood by audience.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities from a variety of sources; prioritizing effectively to impact areas of greatest need and meet deadlines.
- Commitment to the NFF values and strategy.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences regarding race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, disability and socio-economic circumstance.
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts.
- Should be bold and innovative, and driver of change seeking to implement best practices.
- CPA and /or MBA
- Experience in Non-Profit and Government Accounting
- Experience in Blackbaud Financial Edge
- Experience with SalesForce Applications
- Flexibility and sense of humor
Interested candidates should e-mail resume to email@example.com. Please mention that you are a member of EisnerAmper's Friends of the Firm program. Make sure to include Job #1627 in the subject line and to copy firstname.lastname@example.org on your email.